3.0 sGPA, 3.4 cGPA...post bac needed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aspiringphys13

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm llikely going to have ~3.4 cGPA and slightly over 3.0 sGPA when graduating from undergrad. I did a science major and have to take the MCAT. I've worked in a research lab for 2 years (no publication), tutored, clinical volunteering, and plan to shadow as well as scribe before applying. What are my chances for DO? What types of postbacs are best for this GPA?

Members don't see this ad.

For DO, you want to spend money on grade replacement rather than postbac. It's cheaper to take courses at CC to replace courses that you have weak grade as.
Aim for MCAT >505 and you are good for most school (I assume grade replacement to bring that sGPA up >3.3)

Reactions: 1 users
For DO, you want to spend money on grade replacement rather than postbac. It's cheaper to take courses at CC to replace courses that you have weak grade as.
Aim for MCAT >505 and you are good for most school (I assume grade replacement to bring that sGPA up >3.3)
I really don't want to retake the classes. Im looking at post bac programs or SMPs. What are my chances for those and getting in somewhere after completion, assuming I do well?

Members don't see this ad :)
Chances for DO are weak. You'd be autorejected at my school and a number of others, even LUCOM.

The fastest path for you to become a doctor will be to retake all F/D/C science coursework, do well on MCAT, and then apply to DO schools.

I'm llikely going to have ~3.4 cGPA and slightly over 3.0 sGPA when graduating from undergrad. I did a science major and have to take the MCAT. I've worked in a research lab for 2 years (no publication), tutored, clinical volunteering, and plan to shadow as well as scribe before applying. What are my chances for DO? What types of postbacs are best for this GPA?

Reactions: 1 user
I really don't want to retake the classes. Im looking at post bac programs or SMPs. What are my chances for those and getting in somewhere after completion, assuming I do well?

If you are really truly aiming for an SMP then first take the MCAT. If you do well (512+) then do the SMP and apply MD afterwards. If you do below that then an SMP becomes borderline worthless and it would be a much better investment to retake the classes. If you are aiming for DO then only do retakes, regardless of how you feel about it retakes are the best option by far. Beggars can't be choosy

I'd say to study and take the MCAT first... since you don't want to take all these classes only to do poorly on the MCAT and waste all your hard work and time. However, retaking classes may actually help you to better on the MCAT since you will be reviewing your basic sciences.

As far as what Ive heard is that retaking courses at a CC only hurt your chances for DO no?

As far as what Ive heard is that retaking courses at a CC only hurt your chances for DO no?

They don't care. Just get good grades. Adcoms are people too and know money doesn't grow on trees.

Reactions: 2 users

I second this.
As a CCC student, taking courses at CC is amazing. Retaking your pre-reqs at CC might be a good choice.
You might see star professors at UC, but you'll see super caring professors at CC. The classes are very small and courses can go up to 45 to 60 at a maximum capacity.

I second this.
As a CCC student, taking courses at CC is amazing. Retaking your pre-reqs at CC might be a good choice.
You might see star professors at UC, but you'll see super caring professors at CC. The classes are very small and courses can go up to 45 to 60 at a maximum capacity.

As a side note, All of my letter of recs come from cc professors who know me extremely well through out the years. On the other hand, I hardly have an opportunity to get to know my UC professors, which is kinda unfortunate.

As a side note, All of my letter of recs come from cc professors who know me extremely well through out the years. On the other hand, I hardly have an opportunity to get to know my UC professors, which is kinda unfortunate.
If I can get a LoR from CC professor, I would.
They have more chance to interact with students and see each individual performance.