3.08 cGPA, 3.48 sGPA, MCAT pending

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kmp282

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a senior that's a semester ahead. I am graduating December 2013. I have a cumulative GPA of 3.08 and a science GPA of 3.48. I am a chemistry major that has about 100 hours of research and I am shadowing a physicians, both MD and DO, at the moment and this whole summer. I am hoping to score a 30 or higher on the MCAT in March. I am curious as to my chances are with a score of 30 or better, and this semester will raise my GPA. Which DO schools and any MD schools would I be likely to get accepted to or should I do a SMP? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently a senior that's a semester ahead. I am graduating December 2013. I have a cumulative GPA of 3.08 and a science GPA of 3.48. I am a chemistry major that has about 100 hours of research and I am shadowing a physicians, both MD and DO, at the moment and this whole summer. I am hoping to score a 30 or higher on the MCAT in March. I am curious as to my chances are with a score of 30 or better, and this semester will raise my GPA. Which DO schools and any MD schools would I be likely to get accepted to or should I do a SMP? Thanks.

a 3.48 sGPA is adequate enough for many MDs, and your MCAT is still unknown. however, a 3.08 cGPA is very low, and many/most schools use cGPA and MCAT as your initial screening criteria. the LizzyM formula uses your cGPA and MCAT.

now, if you get a 35+ on the MCAT, that score with a ~3.5 sGPA should be enough to get you some MD love...but your 3.08 cGPA is just a tad too low. why isn't it a 3.3? why?

a 3.48 sGPA is adequate enough for many MDs, and your MCAT is still unknown. however, a 3.08 cGPA is very low, and many/most schools use cGPA and MCAT as your initial screening criteria. the LizzyM formula uses your cGPA and MCAT.

now, if you get a 35+ on the MCAT, that score with a ~3.5 sGPA should be enough to get you some MD love...but your 3.08 cGPA is just a tad too low. why isn't it a 3.3? why?

Don't mean to hijack your thread OP

But is this common knowledge that cGPA is more "important" than sGPA? I'm using important loosely, you know what I mean.

Members don't see this ad :)
Many reasons for low the low cGPA. I joined a fraternity my sophomore year and was thrown into an executive council member position since we were a brand new chapter and I had to help us set up the chartering process of our chapter. Secondly, I really AMA science person and I made some poor choices on electives to take. Most of my non-science electives were Bs and Cs. Most of my science courses have been As and Bs with 2 Cs. Calculus 1 and 2 were Cs also since math is not my strong suit. I am currently working to raise my cGPA and I will have raised it after this semester. I also pushed myself to graduate ahead of time so 17-19 hours a semester has been somewhat challenging. What do you think my chances are for DO schools?

Don't mean to hijack your thread OP

But is this common knowledge that cGPA is more "important" than sGPA? I'm using important loosely, you know what I mean.

it isn't common knowledge, and many say sGPA is lightly more important. LizzyM, an adcom at a top school, said that cGPA is slightly more important.

i think cGPA = sGPA, with slight variations among institutes.

Many reasons for low the low cGPA. I joined a fraternity my sophomore year and was thrown into an executive council member position since we were a brand new chapter and I had to help us set up the chartering process of our chapter. Secondly, I really AMA science person and I made some poor choices on electives to take. Most of my non-science electives were Bs and Cs. Most of my science courses have been As and Bs with 2 Cs. Calculus 1 and 2 were Cs also since math is not my strong suit. I am currently working to raise my cGPA and I will have raised it after this semester. I also pushed myself to graduate ahead of time so 17-19 hours a semester has been somewhat challenging. What do you think my chances are for DO schools?

i dont think MD is out of the picture at all, especially since you got low grades in supposedly easy courses. my suggestion is to take a year off and bust easy courses at your local state university in order to raise your cGPA.

take sociology and psychology courses along with perhaps medical ethic courses. not only are these courses "easy", they also have direct relevance to medicine. so when an adcom asks you why you took those courses in your time of, you'll have a good answer.

this is a better plan imo than risking a smp.

now, it isn't "noble" to go to an "easier" school and take "easy" courses to boost your numbers, but you got to do what you got to do.

cGPA is simply not competetive for MD schools, and barely acceptable for most DO programs.

However, I think you'd get some interviews at the latter.

A 30 MCAT score is only avg for MD matriculants,if that. It will not rescue you for MD programs.

Only consider an SMP if you're shut out after one application cycle,

I appreciate the advice. I would love to get in to an MD school but realistically I know DO is much more obtainable. What are my chances for those? Also, I am spending my whole summer shadowing physicians this summer. I know my GPA will raise after this semester but I don't enough to save me for MD. I also have a slew of strong extracurriculars that show that I am well rounded.

Save yourself the time for GPA repair and expensive price of SMP.
Study for the mcat and get a 28+ and you will get DO interviews.

Forget MD. Drag your cGPA up as high as possible, over 3.2 would be best.. 28+ MCAT. DO letter of rec/shadowing.

DO schools will take interest.

Really the only MD school I am considering is USUHS. I have family ties to the military and I have connections to the university. I am a Florida resident so I know most of the MD schools in Florida are almost out of the question. I know I can improve my GPA above a 3.2 via this semester and probably this summer. My family doctor is the one I am shadowing and he is a DO and has already said he will write me a Rec. The DO schools I'm looking at are Nova Southeastern, Lake Erie Bradenton Campus, William Carey, Alabama COM, and Campbell COM.
I really appreciate all the advice that all of you have given me. It makes things a little more straight forward.

USUHS might be possible? Dunno about how competitive their entrance stats are. With a slightly higher cGPA if possible and a good MCAT (aim 28+ like I said) you should have a shot at all those DO schools you listed. Since it looks like you want to stay in the southeast I would also consider PCOM-GA and VCOM-Carolinas if I were you. Apply as early as you can.

Good luck with that MCAT. Rock it.