3.1 gpa. Have yet to take MCAT. Masters degree????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surgicalintern

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I graduate I will have a 3.15 gpa. I am taking the MCAT next September. I plan to study hard for this and do very well. I am taking a year off before I apply to medical school to become a scribe. Does anyone think that while being an emergency room scribe, that getting my masters degree in biological sciences would be beneficial when applying to medical school?
I have lots of ECs and great LORs. I'm not worried about that section. Just want to know if I get my masters degree if that will increase my chances.

Members don't see this ad.

The state I am from and where I am doing my scribe program doesn't offer post baccalaureate programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
The state I am from and where I am doing my scribe program doesn't offer post baccalaureate programs.

I guess you'll have to find SMP's then if you're set on MD. You can read up on some threads about here regarding the risks of enrolling in one.

Goro are you agreeing on finding an SMP program while being a scribe if I want to go to MD school?

If you want to go MD, an SMP or postbacc are necessary. Though it could bolster your clinical experiences, being a scribe is not necessary. Unless clinical experience is also a red flag on your application :rolleyes:

Gpa repair in the form of a post bac (or SMP) would be more powerful than a Master's degree. Master's grades are all presumed to be inflated. Much depends on the MCAT.
Agreed. Further undergrad/post-bac classes would be better... especially since a mediocre master's/grad GPA could actually hurt you.

Saying that you "plan" on doing well on the MCAT is all well and good... but don't put off your studying. It's not particularly an easy test, and getting a score in the mid 30s is not too easy. Start studying early, take all the practice exams you can get your hands on, and do a really thorough review of the basics. Most importantly, in my opinion, is really learning the timing of the test.

Your post is full of hypothetical plans. To specifically answer your question: yes, a solid master's would improve your chances. More than improving your uGPA with post-bac coursework or a targeted SMP? Probably not.

Last edited:
If you do well in SMP or post-bac programs at a certain school, does this increase your chances at the particular school? Or at schools in general?

If you do well in SMP or post-bac programs at a certain school, does this increase your chances at the particular school? Or at schools in general?
It depends on the affiliation agreements with the SMP and the Med school. Good post bac grades do (modestly) improve your gpa.

Just to summarize what you are all saying, re locate to do a post bac program, or a SMP program? Then apply broadly? If possible I would like to do a scribe program and do a post bac at the same time.

Also, I've been looking at programs, do I want the ones that count for undergraduate credit or graduate?

Also, I've been looking at programs, do I want the ones that count for undergraduate credit or graduate?
on here when you start asking specific questions like that, these guys cant help you lol really they are just here to tell you what everyone already knows or can look up, you need to take those questions to a real live person who can actually review your file, maybe a health profession advisor from your undergrad? or one of those people who you said would give you a great LOR.

honestly im in the same situation as you and im in a masters program right now, you should try to take as many undergrad courses as you can with your masters, even if that means summer school because at my university during the regular semester, only undergrads can take certain classes