MD & DO 3.15 cGPA, 3.39 sGPA, 504 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BootsToPathology

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
MCAT: 125/125/127/127
State of residence: KY
Ethnicity: White
Undergrad: BS in Medical Laboratory Science at a reputable Catholic institution
Clinical experience: I've been a medical laboratory technician for the last 6 years
Research: none
Shadowing: 80 hours with a pathologist
Non-clinical volunteering:
  • Student Conservation Association
  • Big Brothers Big Sisters
  • Humane Society
  • Armed Services Blood Program
  • Peer Advisors for Veteran Education
Other:
  • 9 years active duty Army (honorable discharge)
  • Expert Field Medical Badge
  • Warrior Leader Course
  • 2 deployments to Iraq
  • 3-year tour in Germany
Relevant honors or awards:
  • Dean's List every semester since summer 2014
  • President's List for the 2014-2015 academic year
  • 4 Army Commendation Medals
  • 1 Army Achievement Medal
My mediocre MCAT is my own doing, and I plan on retaking in the spring if I don't get in this cycle. I didn't take it until July 22, so I didn't exactly have time to retrain and retake it.

My GPA also needs some explaining. I went to college straight out of high school in 2003 and was the laziest POS imaginable. I quit going to class in order to pick up more hours at work, but didn't withdraw because I was living on campus and couldn't afford to move. I was placed on academic probation after my first failing semester and dismissed after the second. That's 25 hours of 0.0, 7 of which count toward my sGPA. After being dismissed, I joined the Army to try and make something of myself. I was awarded 60 hours of credit for my military medical laboratory training in 2010, most of which were Bs. I didn't really start applying myself in school until after I got out of the Army.

I got my walking papers in March 2014 and started back to school that May. I've been using my Post 911 GI Bill to attend school year-round ever since, and if you look at just these last two years my sGPA is 3.89 and my cGPA is 3.85. Understandably, AMCAS doesn't make any allowances for being immature and irresponsible.

Will my freshman grades from 12 years ago kill my application?

MD Programs:
  • Cincinnati (reach)
  • Indiana
  • University of Kentucky
  • University of Louisville
  • Meharry Medical College
DO Programs:
  • KYCOM
  • LMU-DCOM
  • MU-COM

Members don't see this ad.

You are a good candidate for DO schools. Add a few more such as WVSOM, VCOM (all 3 schools), ACOM, ARCOM, NYIT-Arkansas.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely apply MD, your stats may be on the lower end, but your active duty/ life experience is able to outweigh the stats

MCAT: 125/125/127/127
State of residence: KY
Ethnicity: White
Undergrad: BS in Medical Laboratory Science at a reputable Catholic institution
Clinical experience: I've been a medical laboratory technician for the last 6 years
Research: none
Shadowing: 80 hours with a pathologist
Non-clinical volunteering:
  • Student Conservation Association
  • Big Brothers Big Sisters
  • Humane Society
  • Armed Services Blood Program
  • Peer Advisors for Veteran Education
Other:
  • 9 years active duty Army (honorable discharge)
  • Expert Field Medical Badge
  • Warrior Leader Course
  • 2 deployments to Iraq
  • 3-year tour in Germany
Relevant honors or awards:
  • Dean's List every semester since summer 2014
  • President's List for the 2014-2015 academic year
  • 4 Army Commendation Medals
  • 1 Army Achievement Medal
My mediocre MCAT is my own doing, and I plan on retaking in the spring if I don't get in this cycle. I didn't take it until July 22, so I didn't exactly have time to retrain and retake it.

My GPA also needs some explaining. I went to college straight out of high school in 2003 and was the laziest POS imaginable. I quit going to class in order to pick up more hours at work, but didn't withdraw because I was living on campus and couldn't afford to move. I was placed on academic probation after my first failing semester and dismissed after the second. That's 25 hours of 0.0, 7 of which count toward my sGPA. After being dismissed, I joined the Army to try and make something of myself. I was awarded 60 hours of credit for my military medical laboratory training in 2010, most of which were Bs. I didn't really start applying myself in school until after I got out of the Army.

I got my walking papers in March 2014 and started back to school that May. I've been using my Post 911 GI Bill to attend school year-round ever since, and if you look at just these last two years my sGPA is 3.89 and my cGPA is 3.85. Understandably, AMCAS doesn't make any allowances for being immature and irresponsible.

Will my freshman grades from 12 years ago kill my application?

MD Programs:
  • Cincinnati (reach)
  • Indiana
  • University of Kentucky
  • University of Louisville
  • Meharry Medical College
DO Programs:
  • KYCOM
  • LMU-DCOM
  • MU-COM

Meharry is a historically black college, don't apply there if you are white. Also consider CUSOM, VCOM, and WVSOM.

Maybe Marshall if you fit their very specific regional requirements. Do your research because I'm from East Tennessee and I don't qualify

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

why not? Do they just accept black but not other races? If so, would that be racist?

Like 99% of their student body is black. They only accept students of other races that show significant dedication to the African American community.

And it isn't racist because affirmative action says so. I don't agree with it, because if we had a school that accepted 99% white students the URM community would be in all out rebellion, but what can you do?

If your white just ignore schools like Meharry and Morehouse. I doubt they will suddenly open their doors up for everyone anytime soon

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

They only accept students of other races that show significant dedication to the African American community.
I'm not entirely sure how to go about discussing my involvement with the black community without sounding like I'm pandering or just plain racist. I grew up in an all-black community, my son is black, my Little Brother mentee is black, and I feel pretty strongly about taking care of people who haven't had the sort of opportunity that we so flippantly guarantee our youth.

That's not to say that I applied to Meharry just to study medicine with black people—I didn't. I applied to Meharry because of its dedication to the underserved, the alliance with Vanderbilt, its proximity to home, and the warm & fuzzy I got from an alumna. As a bonus, my son would have the opportunity to see a few hundred black physicians and maybe even consider a career in medicine.

If I had a better GPA and MCAT, I think I'd be a shoo-in for Meharry. Unfortunately, I'm inclined to agree with you in regards to my chances of getting admitted. I'm not URM by any stretch of the imagination, so I don't expect much in the way of sympathy. Hope for the best and plan for the worst, right?

Reactions: 3 users