3.18cGPA ,3.00sGPA, 31 MCAT, Possible URM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Leuk

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not sure if having parents from Spain makes me Hispanic, but I was advised to check it by my premed advisor.

MCAT subsections: 90-95th percentile VR, >85 percentile BS, >60 :( percentile PS

Lots of research including one publication by the end of the summer and possibly 2 more by next summer. Clinical experience concentrated into a short time period but about 150 hours total.

I also went to a competitive school, though I'm not sure it counts for much. Went from 2.7 cGPA freshman year to 3.2 senior year.

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure if having parents from Spain makes me Hispanic, but I was advised to check it by my premed advisor.

MCAT subsections: 90-95th percentile VR, >85 percentile BS, >60 :( percentile PS

Lots of research including one publication by the end of the summer and possibly 2 more by next summer. Clinical experience concentrated into a short time period but about 150 hours total.

I also went to a competitive school, though I'm not sure it counts for much. Went from 2.7 cGPA freshman year to 3.2 senior year.
People of European ancestry are not under-represented in medicine. I would not answer yes if the question asks "are you a member of an under-represented group (it makes you look like a gamer). It will back-fire. Depending on your state of residence, you are a weak to very weak candidate for MD programs. You are a stronger candidate for DO.

I always though Portuguese and Spain were sort of a grey area when it comes to being considered Hispanic or underrepresented. My parents are of Portuguese descent but were born and raised in Spain. Southern New England, where I am from, has a large Portuguese (and Brazilian) community. Most Portuguese in my community associate with Hispanics from South America and are in similar socioeconomic circumstances. I know at least Brown and UMass recognize recent Portuguese immigrants and their family as underrepresented and am not sure if this is true of the country as a whole.

Also I am a first generation college student and learned English as a second language. My advisor cited those factors as reasons why I should apply as a URM. Was that bad advice?

I always though Portuguese and Spain were sort of a grey area when it comes to being considered Hispanic or underrepresented. My parents are of Portuguese descent but were born and raised in Spain. Southern New England, where I am from, has a large Portuguese (and Brazilian) community. Most Portuguese in my community associate with Hispanics from South America and are in similar socioeconomic circumstances. I know at least Brown and UMass recognize recent Portuguese immigrants and their family as underrepresented and am not sure if this is true of the country as a whole.

Also I am a first generation college student and learned English as a second language. My advisor cited those factors as reasons why I should apply as a URM. Was that bad advice?
Diversity of language and experience is desirable. However, neither Spaniards nor Portuguese are recognized as under-represented in medicine. South Americans are not generally considered under-represented in medicine either. There are groups (Filipinos, for example) who are under-represented in colleges and universities but are not under-represented in medicine due to a brain drain of physicians from their home country to ours.