3.19 GPA 3.02 sGPA don't know what to do next

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

powerfulwizard

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I just graduated undergrad with an overall GPA of 3.193 with a 3.0178 in the sciences. I'm currently preparing for the MCATs, and am also enrolled in an environmental microbiology masters program in the fall. I'm thinking Caribbean med school, or a D.O. school(I'd prefer D.O. over caribbean). I'm also currently trying to get as much experience and volunteering I can before applying. My dad is a doctor, so I have learned from him my whole life. My assumption is that admissions boards will not really care about that, and only look at work with other doctors.

I was also thinking about a post bacc, but I'm a little unclear about how they work. I got a D in Vertebrates. If I were to retake it in a post bacc program, does that D get replaced with the new grade, or is it just added to my GPA. Also a school offers cell biology and biochemistry as one class, and it was two separate classes when I took them (B+/B). If I aced a semester of a post bacc, my GPA would go to 3.54 overall and 3.35 in science assuming grades get replaced.

I have no real leadership qualities that I can prove, and I haven't had many jobs over the course of my schooling.

On practice MCATs, I've been scoring around 28-30 on the practice tests(AAMC).

Do I have a shot with my current grades? And would you recommend masters over post bacc? I really don't want to do the masters due to some conflicts and the topic is blah to me. However, I would do it if it increased my chances.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,
I just graduated undergrad with an overall GPA of 3.193 with a 3.0178 in the sciences. I'm currently preparing for the MCATs, and am also enrolled in an environmental microbiology masters program in the fall. I'm thinking Caribbean med school, or a D.O. school(I'd prefer D.O. over caribbean). I'm also currently trying to get as much experience and volunteering I can before applying. My dad is a doctor, so I have learned from him my whole life. My assumption is that admissions boards will not really care about that, and only look at work with other doctors.

I was also thinking about a post bacc, but I'm a little unclear about how they work. I got a D in Vertebrates. If I were to retake it in a post bacc program, does that D get replaced with the new grade, or is it just added to my GPA. Also a school offers cell biology and biochemistry as one class, and it was two separate classes when I took them (B+/B). If I aced a semester of a post bacc, my GPA would go to 3.54 overall and 3.35 in science assuming grades get replaced.

I have no real leadership qualities that I can prove, and I haven't had many jobs over the course of my schooling.

On practice MCATs, I've been scoring around 28-30 on the practice tests(AAMC).

Do I have a shot with my current grades? And would you recommend masters over post bacc? I really don't want to do the masters due to some conflicts and the topic is blah to me. However, I would do it if it increased my chances.

Thanks in advance.

1. Never go to a Caribbean school. They are a tourist trap for pre-meds.
2. Clinical experience and volunteering are a HUGE part of the application.
3. You're right, no one cares what your dad has accomplished. The first thought in reading this is, "what is your excuse?"
4. AACOMAS uses grade forgiveness. AMCAS does not.
5. This seems like it is going to be the biggest red flag. While managing to earn a very low undergrad GPA you didn't have much volunteering, clinical, work, shadowing, or leadership experience!! It looks like you haven't really done much at all :confused:
6. No, you don't not have a chance with your current grades and poor ECs
7. A masters will not help your undergrad GPA. It is a separate GPA. IMHO do the year of post back and get 28+ on your MCAT to give you a shot at DO schools.

A masters will not help your undergrad GPA. It is a separate GPA.

I know that the masters is separate, I was asking about the post bacc. I'm not sure if it changes my undergrad transcript or is a supplement.

I have some shadowing experience, but unfortunately no D.O.s. I was thinking dentistry for a while and wasted sometime following them.

And there are no Caribbean schools worth applying to? I know several doctors who came from those schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know that the masters is separate, I was asking about the post bacc. I'm not sure if it changes my undergrad transcript or is a supplement.

I have some shadowing experience, but unfortunately no D.O.s. I was thinking dentistry for a while and wasted sometime following them.

And there are no Caribbean schools worth applying to? I know several doctors who came from those schools.
Take the mcat and a 28+ might give a shot at low tiers DO.

Yes, 90% sure PBs can count towards retakes assuming your hours for the new class are similar to the original class.

My advisor straight up told me don't bother with Carib/FMG and I have a ~3,.1, 27O so I assume she thinks I have a shot at DO. SDN also seems to think similarly,

Update after 2 years.

I did not get a Masters or do a PB. I lied. I won't do it. I don't need them. I turned my low* GPA into a 3.5 overall using magic.

I have a MCAT tutor at the moment, so I expect to take the exam relatively soon. Motivation is my main issue, so I thought maybe posting here might help.

If you have a low GPA, I can offer my advice and progress based off my experience. Maybe start a blog or something like that.

And after 2 years what have you done to improve your ECs? Two years is a really long time to develop a wide variety of ECs. Let's hear about them. When are you taking the MCAT?

Update after 2 years.

I did not get a Masters or do a PB. I lied. I won't do it. I don't need them. I turned my low* GPA into a 3.5 overall using magic.

I have a MCAT tutor at the moment, so I expect to take the exam relatively soon. Motivation is my main issue, so I thought maybe posting here might help.

If you have a low GPA, I can offer my advice and progress based off my experience. Maybe start a blog or something like that.

Did you do grade replacement?

And after 2 years what have you done to improve your ECs? Two years is a really long time to develop a wide variety of ECs. Let's hear about them. When are you taking the MCAT?

I waited tables off the books and looked into some other career paths. I probably will look for some volunteer work.

I have to reschedule my exam, but sometime in August if I can.

Did you do grade replacement?

No. That GPA is not official as of now. A PB would net a 3.5 as well. I still need some clarification on the matter, but my situation is unique.