3.2 cGPA, 3.6 sGPA, nontrad looking for advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HisImperialMajesty

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
There are MD schools that reward reinvention (Tulane, Drexel, Tufts, and a few more). Ace MCAT and I think you'll be fine with those.

Worry about getting into medical school before getting into a specialty. Then you'll find that being a DO is NOT a hindrance. My students are matching into competitive residencies, and so can you.

SMPs are a dime a dozen. Best one should be linked to a med school. (Rosy Franklin, Drexel (2x), Mt Sinai, Georgetown, PCOM etc)

I am planning to apply widely and broadly during the 2014-2015, but I am wondering if I have a decent chance at a MD school, especially if I do well on the MCAT. My goal is to become an oncologist so doing that via the DO route would be much more difficult, but I am investigating that possibility as well. I am considering applying to SMPs, but I'm looking at ones such as Temple's that have conditional acceptances or at least interviews to their med schools.

My current plan is to apply this summer to both MD/DO schools while picking up either a research position or SMP in the fall, and updating schools accordingly. I'd appreciate any advice on my application strategy and tips on schools/SMPs to apply to. Thanks![/quote]

Reactions: 1 user