3.2 cum, 3.6 sci, 31Q

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ghendel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I also have about 100 hrs of clinical experience in west Africa and a 4.0 masters degree in education. All my recent stuff (since 2001) is a 4.0. I am 34, I am a high school science teacher, and this is my third round (interviewed last year at San Antonio). I am applying DO this time. Wondering what the "worst" med school is that I would have a chance at for an MD. My MCAT is from July 2009, so that is limiting. I have heard that N. Dakota is my best chance, but are there any others that I should throw my hat into?

Members don't see this ad.

im confused, with those stats+urm status you didnt get a signle acceptance? Did you not apply broadly and early?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am not URM, and I am actually currently in Oregon and OHSU won't even look at me. I only got one interview last round, but didn't even get waitlisted! So frustrating. I did not apply early nor did I cast my net widely. Second time was broader and earlier, but I had to turn down an early interview date because it was the first week of school (my actual job) and I would have to fly back to the US from Senegal (I was there for two years). I have moved back to the States now, which makes things a lot easier.

I have seen a few threads on SDN with lists of schools that take MCATs from 2009. I am limited to that list, because I have no plans (currently) to retake the MCAT. I am also not drowning in money, so I would like to choose my MD schools wisely. Last time, Rosalind Franklin didn't offer an interview....

Any other school(s) I should try for?

I misread, my bad -_-.

Haha you saw "Africa" and jumped straight to URM status :) You should be reading everything more carefully at least until after you finish your MCAT :p

I also have about 100 hrs of clinical experience in west Africa and a 4.0 masters degree in education. All my recent stuff (since 2001) is a 4.0. I am 34, I am a high school science teacher, and this is my third round (interviewed last year at San Antonio). I am applying DO this time. Wondering what the "worst" med school is that I would have a chance at for an MD. My MCAT is from July 2009, so that is limiting. I have heard that N. Dakota is my best chance, but are there any others that I should throw my hat into?

Have you looked at MSAR? Just want to remind you that this is the last year that MCAT will be good.

I wish I could search msar by validity of MCAT date. Most accept 2010 and on, so it rules out quite a fee of the lower tier schools. I am going through that but I want to focus on a handful of MD schools.