MD & DO 3.2 cum, just over 3.0 science

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RM10

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just graduated from a private liberal arts university with a 3.2 overall GPA (approx 3.1 science).

I played football throughout college as well as performed work-study to help pay for school. I graduated with quite a few volunteer hours as well. I'm scheduled to take the MCAT very soon. I expect somewhere 25-30 range. I'm confident that if I were to get to the interview process, I would not have problems with admission. I've always been more of a leader due to my involvement in athletics, specifically with the position I played (quarterback). And I like to think that I am well-spoken.

Before I get bashed for making so many sports references, I want to establish that I understand that medical schools are looking for doctors, not athletes. But despite my commitment to athletics hurting my academic performance, I feel like it has better equipped me to be a good doctor (dealing with high pressure situations, thinking critically, being competitive, and communicating well).

I'm located in southeastern Kentucky, so I'm looking hard into the two local DO programs (Pikeville and DeBusk). What do you all think?

Members don't see this ad.

I think you may want to hold off on that MCAT until you're scoring above a 30 if you only have a 3.2. This is a very competitive process and your GPA is below average for both MD and DO.

Provided your MCAT is where you say it will be, I think you have a reasonable shot at DO (I am not knowledgeable enough to provide you with a DO list, but I'm sure others will stop by who can), and if you score a 30+ MCAT equivalent, I think it might be worth taking a stab at MD schools in Kentucky, though I wouldn't go in expecting anything. Regardless of your status as an athlete, a 3.2/3.05 GPA is going to be difficult to overcome. Your next step will be depending on what your MCAT turns out to be.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you both for your information! I've been studying for the MCAT for the past 3 months. I hope it pays off!

Your GPAs are lethal for MD schools, but if you apply broadly to DO, you should have some luck with the below Skip all others.

LECOM-
SOMA:
PCOM-Ga:
PNWU:
WCU
ACOM
LMU
WVSOM
KYCOM
Burrell

And for your own good, lose the attitude in bold below.

I just graduated from a private liberal arts university with a 3.2 overall GPA (approx 3.1 science).

I played football throughout college as well as performed work-study to help pay for school. I graduated with quite a few volunteer hours as well. I'm scheduled to take the MCAT very soon. I expect somewhere 25-30 range. I'm confident that if I were to get to the interview process, I would not have problems with admission. I've always been more of a leader due to my involvement in athletics, specifically with the position I played (quarterback). And I like to think that I am well-spoken.

Before I get bashed for making so many sports references, I want to establish that I understand that medical schools are looking for doctors, not athletes. But despite my commitment to athletics hurting my academic performance, I feel like it has better equipped me to be a good doctor (dealing with high pressure situations, thinking critically, being competitive, and communicating well).

I'm located in southeastern Kentucky, so I'm looking hard into the two local DO programs (Pikeville and DeBusk). What do you all think?

Your GPAs are lethal for MD schools, but if you apply broadly to DO, you should have some luck with the below Skip all others.

LECOM-
SOMA:
PCOM-Ga:
PNWU:
WCU
ACOM
LMU
WVSOM
KYCOM
Burrell

And for your own good, lose the attitude in bold below.

Thank you very much for the advice. Wasn't trying to come off as cocky with that statement.

What are your EC's like? Clinical experience? Shadowing?

What are your EC's like? Clinical experience? Shadowing?

I have almost 1000 hours of experience working as an ER technician at my local hospital. I use this as an opportunity to, not only get hands-on experience with patients, but work alongside doctors.

I've logged over 1000 volunteer hours ranging from helping coach the local high school football team, to painting fences for a man with severe Parkinson's, and many hours helping my church with various projects, including Bible school.

After reviewing the AACOM GPA calculation method, my GPA would increase. Haven't performed the calculations, but I'm assuming an increase to approximately a 3.4 cum, 3.2 science.

Do you have any shadowing experience? Some DO schools will require either a MD/DO or specifically a DO letter.

Don't apply MD or upper half of DO schools until you have a solid GPA- if that means master's, post-bacc, etc, whatever. A 30+ MCAT won't help you at an MD school with that GPA. DO schools are a maybe.

Last edited:
Do you have any shadowing experience? Some DO schools will require either a MD/DO or specifically a DO letter.

Sorry for the delayed reply. But yes, I work alongside both MDs and DOs every day I'm in the hospital. I have a great working relationship with the docs in my department.

Don't listen to the people trying to tell you that your GPA is too low for MD programs. According to AAMC, from 2012-2014 35.4% of applicants with a GPA range of 2.20-3.39 and MCAT range of 30-32 were accepted, and the percentage goes over 50% if you can get a 36+ on the MCAT.

Don't listen to the people trying to tell you that your GPA is too low for MD programs. According to AAMC, from 2012-2014 35.4% of applicants with a GPA range of 2.20-3.39 and MCAT range of 30-32 were accepted, and the percentage goes over 50% if you can get a 36+ on the MCAT.
Those people usually have something else going for them. They're either URM, veterans, did peace corps or had fantastic research/life experiences.
You also can't bank on a 36+ MCAT.

Those people usually have something else going for them. They're either URM, veterans, did peace corps or had fantastic research/life experiences.
You also can't bank on a 36+ MCAT.
Do you know how much being a veteran helps? I'm curious because I have a GPA of 3.28 and MCAT of 36, and I'm also a veteran.

Do you know how much being a veteran helps? I'm curious because I have a GPA of 3.28 and MCAT of 36, and I'm also a veteran.

You should make a new thread and list out all EC's, sGPA, etc.