MD 3.2 GPA 35 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedBrah 19

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys long time lurker and I wanted some feedback. I applied this year and it's not looking good so far, applied early to 20+ schools, 1 interview but rejected, all others have been silence or rejection so preparing to reapply.

3.2 sGPA 3.1cGPA 35MCAT (Huge upward trend, haven't even received a B in 2 years, last C was in 2010)

800+ clinical volunteer hours in EDs
200+ non clinical volunteer hours
50 hours shadowing
Clinical work experience
Teaching
EMT certification
1.5 years of research, no publications

Was in pharmacy school for a year and a half but dropped out because I didn't like the profession, not sure if this will hurt me, but I didn't want to accumulate more loans
Pharmacy GPA = 3.9+
From what I read this GPA is largely irrelevant.

I have been working on a DIY post bacc since I dropped out of pharmacy and my GPA there has been 4.0, the grades have been factored into the science and cumulative GPAs above.

So please help me what can I do to maximize my chances of acceptance next year? My MCAT will be expiring soon and thus next year will be my last chance to apply without having to retake the test. I should also mention I just got a letter of recommendation from an MD, which I didn't have when applying this year and he's a director of one of the departments at a local MD school, hoping that will help next year. Overall I feel my letters are strong and my PS and secondaries are average due to being a weak writer.

Miscellaneous info: non-urm, Illinois resident, non-traditional student (late 20s)

UPDATE: AACOMAS GPAs - sGPA 3.36, cGPA 3.39

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You have elements that make risk averse committees nervous: career abandonment (however justifiable), gpa/MCAT dissonance and re-application. MD letters add little to MD applications (DO's feel differently about physician LOR's, though). You are right about your graduate grades: no help.

Where did you apply this year?

You have elements that make risk averse committees nervous: career abandonment (however justifiable), gpa/MCAT dissonance and re-application. MD letters add little to MD applications (DO's feel differently about physician LOR's, though). You are right about your graduate grades: no help.

Where did you apply this year?
I applied to all the illinois schools and low/mid tier MDs across the board. I completed my DO application a few weeks ago after realizing the cycle was looking grim and I have just been verified there. Not sure how bad it is to be this late for DO. Hoping for some love there. My DO GPA is looking like a 3.4sGPA and I've applied to a handful of schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
You would have no problem with DO, though late October is pretty darn late to submit your AACOMAS primary. You may still get some positive attention from DO schools, though. I think your MD chances are slim if you did not target enough "lower" tier MD schools that credit you for reinvention. I applied with similar stats last year, had a few interviews, and no luck with MD in the end. However, DO was a much different story. Hope it works out well for you.

You would have no problem with DO, though late October is pretty darn late to submit your AACOMAS primary. You may still get some positive attention from DO schools, though. I think your MD chances are slim if you did not target enough "lower" tier MD schools that credit you for reinvention. I applied with similar stats last year, had a few interviews, and no luck with MD in the end. However, DO was a much different story. Hope it works out well for you.
Do you have a list of schools that value reinvention? I can't find this information anywhere.

Do you have a list of schools that value reinvention? I can't find this information anywhere.
Well, though you're not a typical "reinvention" story, your substantial upward trend and ECs may be a marker for a turnaround of sorts. The venerable @Goro has previously stated that the following schools are friendly to reinventers:

"Case
BU
Tufts
Wayne State
Your state schools, if any
Vanderbilt (yes, Vanderbilt)
Albany
NYMC
Drexel
SUNY-Upstate
All new schools
Any DO school
All 3rd tier schools"

Hope that's helpful!

Reactions: 2 users
The good: high MCAT and a steep upward trend
The bad: 3.2 GPA and previously dropping out of a graduate program

I knew of an applicant who was 3.5/42 from a top 20 school who dropped out of Ph.D at another top 20 school. He got several interviews, but no acceptances. You need to have a strong answer as to why you didn't complete your Pharm. D. You decided after you joined that you didn't like it? What's there to say that you won't like medical school after you start? You seem to like volunteering in the ER and you have a great EC there, but why MD and not any other ER job?

If you are not accepted this cycle apply to 10 or more DO schools early next year and you should receive several interviews.

Update: my AACOMAS GPA was calculated today at sGPA 3.3 and cGPA 3.39

Decent chances at DO even though I'm late? Will I have a chance next cycle?

The good: high MCAT and a steep upward trend
The bad: 3.2 GPA and previously dropping out of a graduate program

I knew of an applicant who was 3.5/42 from a top 20 school who dropped out of Ph.D at another top 20 school. He got several interviews, but no acceptances. You need to have a strong answer as to why you didn't complete your Pharm. D. You decided after you joined that you didn't like it? What's there to say that you won't like medical school after you start? You seem to like volunteering in the ER and you have a great EC there, but why MD and not any other ER job?
Not wanting to accrue loans for a field that you're not passionate about isn't a good excuse? I'm just trying to make the most financially sound decision about my future.

Not wanting to accrue loans for a field that you're not passionate about isn't a good excuse? I'm just trying to make the most financially sound decision about my future.

Why didn't you come to that conclusion before you started is what people are asking.

Why didn't you come to that conclusion before you started is what people are asking.
I was young, didn't know what I wanted to do with my life. Worked at a pharmacy for a little and thought it was cool, but when I started pharmacy school I realized pharmacists are just glorified clerks and I wanted to be in charge of patient care and a decision maker, didn't want to be a bystander.

Reactions: 1 user
I think if you apply to your 10 favorite DO schools I think you'll have at least one acceptance. MD I'm not sure tbh as your probably borderline and I'm not sure how the pharm dropout looks, I agree medical schools are generally risk averse. I think if you could phrase it as though you realized you could accomplish more and wanted a broader scope than pharmacy it might be convincing (and I think this is likely what happened if you had a 3.9 in pharm school.) As you probably know preclinical years are going to have a lot of the same tedious memorization as pharm school. I'd apply very early and really broadly next year for MD. I still think you can get DO this year, some school won't be able to resist an MCAT 7-8 points above their average stats in my opinion. I actually want to see you get in because I had similar stats, took a similar path, and was a career changer, but never dropped out of a program and things work out fine.

Also, and I'm 100% certain of this. If you apply MD next year. APPLY THE DAY APPLICATIONS COME OUT. That day. UIC is probably your best MD chance and esp with them it is a big deal to get in early.

Last edited:
Re: Dropping out.

A friend got into UVM and she dropped out of law school, but also had a bunch of years of pre-reqs and work experience in between all of that.

Re: Dropping out.

A friend got into UVM and she dropped out of law school, but also had a bunch of years of pre-reqs and work experience in between all of that.

I've applied here and am currently small pooled, maybe they will give me some love

Hey congrats on the great MCAT.

Honestly, I think you have a 10% chance at an MD school, just isn't possible with your GPAs and dropping out of pharmacy doesn't help. Plus with no gpa recalculations in MD, there is just no possible way you could get in.

Not to be discouraging, but it is just highly unlikely. Look the MD averages are above 3.6s in both gpas. Sure your MCAT is amazing, sadly your gpas are too low.

I think you have a decent chance at DO, not amazing chances, but a decent chance.

Why don't you retake classes to boost those grades up?

Again, the thing is that your MCAT grades will expire. I would apply now and do your best to get in NOW. Otherwise your only best bet is to reapply for DO (Not MD unless you have a 3.6 in both gpas, which I am not sure is possible for you, depending on how many credits you already taken).

I bet if you had a 3.4 overall and a 3.6 science and a 34 you would get into any DO you want. Just focus on your grades now. But you need to use that MCAT score. Its hard to get it again.

Good luck.

I applied to all the illinois schools and low/mid tier MDs across the board. I completed my DO application a few weeks ago after realizing the cycle was looking grim and I have just been verified there. Not sure how bad it is to be this late for DO. Hoping for some love there. My DO GPA is looking like a 3.4sGPA and I've applied to a handful of schools.
complete those DO secondaries ASAP and you will be fine