3.22 cGPA and 3.47 sGPA with MCAT pending

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ile220

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

How do my stats look so far for MD and DO schools?

cGPA 3.22
sGPA 3.47
BS in Biology
Just took the mcat and scores haven't came in yet

Volunteered in a research lab on sexual selection of water striders for one summer
Volunteered at a hospice for about half a year
Volunteered at one hospital in Patient Unit Care and Emergency Department for 2 years
Currently volunteering at another hospital in the Surgery Center
Vice President of Premed club

Thank you and I truly appreciate any advice given! :)

Members don't see this ad.

For MD schools, there are a few things that will prevent you from getting in.
1) why is your cGPA so low? If you have a good reason (ie you were in a particularly difficult major, like quantum physics, had a rough first year during which you took all your humanities courses), then this is OK if you explain it in your PS. Your sGPA is fine for lower-tier MD programs.
2) If your MCAT score is below 30. You should then either choose to do DO or retake.
3) your research experience is lacking, both because you only did it for a short time and because it was "volunteering", not paid or for credit. AdComs know that volunteering in a lab usually means doing bitch work tasks that is nothing like actual research.

However, your clinical experience is good, and if you can write something heart-felt in your PS about it, this will serve to your advantage.

So basically, if you can explain your cGPA well, and get above a 30 for your MCAT score, and then apply to every low-tier school in the country (>20, preferably >30), and write something very heart-felt about your clinical experiences in your PS that make you shine, you should have a decent chance of getting into a low-tier MD program. I'd put it at around a 50% chance if you get a 30-31 MCAT and apply to 25-ish schools, and a 80% chance if you get 32+ MCAT and apply to 30+ schools

GPAs are not competitive for MD programs, and I don't think a killer MCAT score will save them. You're fine for any DO program.

Hey guys,

How do my stats look so far for MD and DO schools?

cGPA 3.22
sGPA 3.47
BS in Biology
Just took the mcat and scores haven't came in yet

Volunteered in a research lab on sexual selection of water striders for one summer
Volunteered at a hospice for about half a year
Volunteered at one hospital in Patient Unit Care and Emergency Department for 2 years
Currently volunteering at another hospital in the Surgery Center
Vice President of Premed club

Thank you and I truly appreciate any advice given! :)