3.25 GPA Freshman Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Borntofly

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I started with a 3.57 GPA first semester of freshman year and after getting two C+'s (one in Chem 2 and one in Health Psych) I received a cumulative GPA of 3.25, which I realize is quite low for someone on the pre-med track. However, I only want to become a doctor. It is my only dream and aspiration, but I want to know if I messed up pretty badly and if it is no longer an option. I have some extracurricular activities on the side: I am a secretary of a dance team and I started research on a pesticide project I am very interested in. I know I will work SO much harder my next few years, but I seriously want to know what Med school looks like for me? Am I stressing out too soon? Any insight is appreciated, I just don't know how to go about this because I have never gotten such low grades before, in fact I was top 10% in my high school class!

Members don't see this ad.

I definitely know where you're coming from.

I finished my first year at a top 3 public school with a 3.27 cumulative. First semester I got a C+ as well, and ended up withdrawing from Orgo 1 because I had no idea what was going on. Retook Orgo 1 the next semester and got an A.

I just graduated in May with a 3.7 cGPA, which is around the average of Med School matriculants, and I'm happy with that. If I can do it, you can do it. Senior year definitely helped me get my grades up a bit as well, so consider taking a gap year! Personally, I developed better study habits and time management. I know the future may seem daunting, and you have a lot of studying ahead of you, but do not give up!

Keep getting involved in ECs. Do some clinical volunteering, get some research done, and honestly, enjoy these years of undergrad. You only get to do it once, and although grades are important and you should work hard, remember to keep a balance so you do not burn out. Your grades will only go up from here =) Best of luck!

I had a 3.27 after my first year. I went hardcore, and had a 3.8 by the end of my 3rd year with pretty much all A's in my prereqs. Work for it and you'll kill it.