3.27 GPA 35 mcat URM D1 athlete chances? please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lilmedhopeful27

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Im going into my junior year at a top 25 school. I messed up this past year really bad. I can bring my gpa up to a 3.27 by the time i apply next summer. I have been taking mcat practice tests scoring around 35. I am a URM (hispanic), D1 athlete- coxswain for rowing team, doing research at a national lab, internship at national marrow donor program, bunch of different community service involvement. I will have a lot of shadowing hours by the time i apply. Im also a california resident. What are my chances at getting into an MD school in the US? (not planning on DO or caribbean)

Around 70% if you put up a 35 and have a 3.2. http://edge.studentdoctor.net/wamc/Hispanic_Applicants.png It might be wise to rethink your stance on not applying to DO schools, especially if you are unable to get that GPA up to a ~ 3.3.

Being a California resident doesn't help. I believe also that the URM designation only applies to certain Hispanic groups. @gyngyn has commented on this in the past (as well as about applying from CA) -- but I'm not the guy to do it.

Good luck. :woot:

Im going into my junior year at a top 25 school. I messed up this past year really bad. I can bring my gpa up to a 3.27 by the time i apply next summer.

So are you saying you have a downward trend and 3.27 is the maximum cGPA you can achieve? A 3.27 is a very low GPA for MD, regardless of everything else...

As mentioned above, whether or not you are a URM depends on from which country you trace your ancestry, not simply whether you're Hispanic. Certain Hispanic backgrounds are not considered underrepresented. Furthermore, specifics about your background (how long your family has been in the US, where you live, etc) factor into the decision.