3.28 cGPA 510 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rosflo

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you need a school to add for DO, Oklahoma State has a DO/PHD program! Something to look into!

I did not know that! Thanks for the info, definitely something I should explore

Members don't see this ad :)
So does MSU. I regret to say that I think your MD/PhD chances are close to zero. Even DO PhD will be difficult with that GPA.

You're very active outside of your classes, so this may also help in explaining the cGPA. A good year of post-bacc classes should help increase your GPA (in case you don't get accepted). And I would halt all types of work as you're doing way too much. I would definitely include the war's circumstances in your interviews. I am assuming you are Syrian?

Yes I'm Syrian. I was born in the states but left at age 3 and came back to the states right before starting high-school. I am cutting down a bit with my ECs mainly to focus on my last year of MPH. Thank you for your advice.

If you are not accepted this year apply to at least 15 DO schools next year and you should receive several interviews. You may need a DO LOR for some schools.

Don't know about DO/PhD programs, but your stats are too low for MD/PhD and MD, period.

Applying broadly to DO schools should net you IIs.

cGPA: 3.28
MCAT: 510 (129/127/127/127)

I am primarily looking to apply as an MD/PhD applicant

Research: >2.5 years in a neuroscience lab, 3 publications (2nd author and two 3rd authors), 2 acknowledgments, 1 poster presentation, another 5 months in an infectious disease lab at the CDC (paper in-progress) (I also have 2 great LORs from the PIs of both labs), I will also be working in another lab soon studying stem-cell therapy aimed at treating neuro-degenerative diseases.

Clinical experience: >1000 hours shadowing an ER physician at an urgent clinic, 4 years working as an MA at an urgent clinic, 75 hours volunteering in the ER

EC: Established a primary school in a now war-torn country in an under-served village (it is still open and and enrollment is high), organized medical aid operations to bring medical supplies to refugees fleeing war on the border of war-torn country, volunteered >300 hours at a homeless shelter, co-founded a refugee assistance program in my state which serves one of the largest refugee communities in the US tutoring and assisting refugee children.

Currently a second year MPH student at a prestigious school
As a part of my MPH I am currently conducting a community needs assessment of refugee organizations serving in this community and expect to be published by the end of the year.

Now to partly explain inconsistencies with my GPA, and this is in no way meant to be a sob story.....I care for two of my siblings who have stage 5 chronic kidney disease who were diagnosed the summer of my freshman year of undergrad. ER visits are a usual thing for me which happen several times a month and many times id have to skip classes to spend my days at the hospital instead. One of them recently received a transplant and the other is currently on the waiting list so I really only have to put most of my effort towards caring for one. Also around the time before my freshman year a very brutal war erupted in my home country and its been raging every since. Alot of my family have been killed and continue to be killed because escape has proven to be impossible so getting the news of deaths is never easy and can be mentally draining. As mentioned before Ive tried to do what i can to help those fleeing similar circumstances.

I've applied broadly to over 40 schools ( all allopathic tho, havent applied DO)

Thank you for your input! :)

Nope, it and it will hurt you with DO schools...we want people who want to be doctors, not researchers.

MD schools can get hordes of applicants who have done research AND have higher stats. If anything, your explanation will make Adcoms wonder about your coping skills and your ability to make good choices.

Any other opinions? I applied mainly MD/Phd because I enjoy doing research, I understand its highly competitive. Would an emphasis on my research/circumstances/ECs/LORs help overcome my poor GPA?

Any possible suggestions on what to do next if I am adamant on going MD?

Thanks again

Members don't see this ad :)
Nope, it and it will hurt you with DO schools...we want people who want to be doctors, not researchers.

MD schools can get hordes of applicants who have done research AND have higher stats. If anything, your explanation will make Adcoms wonder about your coping skills and your ability to make good choices.

Yeah I understand that...would having some circumstances that were out of my control and are explained in PS and essays help at all?

Thanks

Yours is a very modest application for regular MD programs and quite weak for MSTP.
What is your state of residence? Did you only apply to combined programs?

Im in Georgia, and I applied mainly MD/PhD but I also applied to some MD programs. I did not know my application was that weak other than my GPA being the main concern.

Thanks for your input!

Im in Georgia, and I applied mainly MD/PhD but I also applied to some MD programs. I did not know my application was that weak other than my GPA being the main concern.

Thanks for your input!
Median MCAT for MD/PhD programs is the 97th percentile.

Median gpa for regular MD is 3.7.
Successful GA applicants to MD programs have a median gpa of 3.66.

Is that your only MCAT?

Median MCAT for MD/PhD programs is the 97th percentile.

Median gpa for regular MD is 3.7.
Successful GA applicants to MD programs have a median gpa of 3.66.

Is that your only MCAT?

No that is not my only MCAT...I've taken it three times total. Ive made alot of poor decisions with that but my last score was a 26 on the old MCAT two years ago. But that was also during the peak of alot of what was going on in my life. But still poor decisions.

No that is not my only MCAT...I've taken it three times total. Ive made alot of poor decisions with that but my last score was a 26 on the old MCAT two years ago. But that was also during the peak of alot of what was going on in my life. But still poor decisions.
You are applying with a lower than average gpa and the equivalent of a much lower MCAT than most successful MD applicants. All MCAT scores are visible to evaluators and open to their individual interpretation. Applying to MSTP's with these stats puts you at a serious disadvantage.

Reactions: 1 user
See my previous post.
Ohh ok I overlooked that. I did cope eventually but when it was all happening at the same time it was pretty difficult early on, so I dont think my coping skills were that questionable. There is only so much you can do especially with your family getting killed and you having no control over it.

But I appreciate your advice, this has me reconsidering things

You are applying with a lower than average gpa and the equivalent of a much lower MCAT than most successful MD applicants as all MCAT scores are visible to evaluators. Applying to MSTP's with these stats put you at a serious disadvantage.

Even to lower tier med schools? I thought anything the equivilent of 30+ was considered alright?

Even to lower tier med schools? I thought anything the equivilent of 30+ was considered alright?
Historical norms would place your regular MD success at just a bit better than 30% if you only had the single 510 MCAT.
With multiple lower MCAT scores, MD odds will be much less. MD/PhD will be much less than that.

Historical norms would place your regular MD success at just a bit better than 30% if you only had the single 510 MCAT.
With multiple lower MCAT scores, MD odds will be much less. MD/PhD will be much less than that.

Ok I understand that now.

Thank you everyone for your contributions! This helped me get a clearer picture of what I'm dealing with...may have been a bit disillusioned with my chances.

Are there any suggestions on what I can do next?

Ok I understand that now.

Thank you everyone for your contributions! This helped me get a clearer picture of what I'm dealing with...may have been a bit disillusioned with my chances.

Are there any suggestions on what I can do next?
Contact the schools where you have applied to MD/PhD programs and ask to be switched to regular MD. This will at least give you a shot at all the schools where you have submitted an application.

Reactions: 1 user
Wow you started a school in Syria and it's still running? I'm very impressed! You sound like a very strong person given what you wrote above, and I wish you luck this cycle!

Wow you started a school in Syria and it's still running? I'm very impressed! You sound like a very strong person given what you wrote above, and I wish you luck this cycle!

Thank you! :) I definitely need it haha

And yes its still running! It had to close during a few times during sieges/drawn-out battles but we try to do what we can remotely in terms of the administrative processes.

Your chances will be best with MCG and Mercer. Do you have a sharp rising GPA trend?

Your compelling story may buy you some love.

It rose after freshman year and remained steady but what I think really did my GPA in was my last semester (summer) where it dipped sharply.

That's going to hurt, and the MPH is going to help.

You need to demonstrate that you can handle a med school curriculum. MPH are rigorous programs

Yes they are and I am doing the best I can. I understand grad GPA wont overshadow undergrad or compensate but this program is giving me some important skills.

Would you know how grad GPA is looked at? Is grad work looked at differently?

MD schools do not average in graduate GPAs. You're expected to do well and many of these programs have too much grade inflation built in.

DO schools will add gGPA into cGPA, even from MPH programs.

Yes they are and I am doing the best I can. I understand grad GPA wont overshadow undergrad or compensate but this program is giving me some important skills.

Would you know how grad GPA is looked at? Is grad work looked at differently?