Menu Icon Search
Close Search

About the ads

1. If you prefer the SDN Blue style, go to the bottom left of the page and select "SDN Blue"

3.28cGPA, 3.2sGPA, 36 MCAT, Montana Resident

Discussion in 'Re-Applicants [ MD / DO ]' started by Grouphug, 05.23.12.

1. Grouphug

Grouphug

SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Here is my original thread from last year (much has changed since then, but in case you're interested):
    http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=825055

Graduated BYU-Neuroscience 2011
    3.28cGPA, 3.2sGPA, 36 MCAT, Montana Resident
    Lots of shadowing, many other things (if interested you can see previous post above)
    Waitlisted at University of Washington and Ohio State University
    Odds are against me getting in this year, so I'm reapplying in case I don't.
    Getting 1-2 new LOR. (I don't know if that was one of the problems or not)
    Updating / rewriting personal statement and application.

Basically, I was wondering on what I should do to improve my application. I am calling the medical schools to see if they can give me any personalized feedback. I'm concerned it was due to my lower GPA. What is the best way to go about fixing this?

Option 1: Take upper-level undergrad science courses (I've already graduated, and they wouldn't change my GPA much at all because I have so many credits).

Option 2: SMP. (I looked these up and I've heard some bad things about them. Expensive. None in my area and I don't think there are any online, if you know of an online one, please let me know!)

Option 3: Grad School. (Do a year of a master's in neuroscience or something similar. It could be past the deadline to apply...)

Option 4: Medically related job. (I've found this very difficult. Interviewed for an MA job that didn't require CMA, but didn't get it. Everything seems to require a CMA or licensing which takes a long time. I'll look into how long for EMT. Also, I heard scribe, I'll look into that. Finally, I could try CNA.)

Option 5: Something else? Continue with my current, non-medical job but really hit volunteering and such?
  2. Prncssbuttercup

Prncssbuttercup Established Member -- OMSIII

Where ever I am, I wish I was in Breckenridge CO
    Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Have you thought about applying DO?? I know you have a great MCAT, but your GPA is what's killing you. Also, have you had people on the forums read over your PS? You could try for an SMP, but I'm not sure how that saves you any time, and honestly, if you're just out of school (age 22-23) you have some time to work with... My personal recommendation is to try applying DO with your current stats. If you really want MD, you will HAVE to do an SMP, or PB work.
  3. Grouphug

Grouphug

SDN 2+ Year Member
    Yes, I'm going to apply to a few DO schools, just trying to figure out which ones. However, the stats for those accepted to DO schools are only slightly lower than MD schools, and since I haven't shadowed a DO, and I don't have a recommendation from a DO (both these things are either required or looked upon very favorably at virtually all DO schools), I figured I actually had about the same chance at DO or MD.

Of course, I can still shadow a DO and get a recommendation from him, but considering that the DO application is already open (so I would be a month later than for my AMCAS schools), I may not have time to do that...
  4. Grouphug

Grouphug

SDN 2+ Year Member
    Oh yeah, and I REALLY don't think the personal statement is the problem. I had a very good writer from the premed advisement office look at it multiple times.

Is there anyway you can tell if it was a LOR? And if so, which one?

Also about the SMPs / Postbaccs, I'm looking at this site:
    https://services.aamc.org/postbac/index.cfm

I'm looking into SMPs, Masters, and Postbaccs now. It looks like the deadlines have passed, but I'm going to call them, see if there is anyway they can make an exception for my particular situation. I'm extremely interested in the Master's of Health Science at Montana State.
  5. cabinbuilder

cabinbuilder

Attending Physician
    Physician SDN 7+ Year Member
    Apply to the DO school in Yakima, WA. They take 75% of their students from the WWAMI states.
  6. cincincyreds

cincincyreds

Attending Physician
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Few options.

1. DO, you should get in. Your stats are good enought for it. I wouldn't waste another year volunteering or doing some other work if you could get into a DO school.

2. If you want MD, there are 1 year programs at Georgetown and another one at MCP-Haneman in Philadelphia which are science courses to prop up the GPA. I think if you can ace that for the one year, you could prove to the ADCOMS you could handle the work. But you are correct, if you had a 3.5 you would have gotten in.
  7. MedBound1

MedBound1

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    If your EC's are as solid as you make them sound, the only thing keeping you out of MD is your GPA. Since MD doesn't take grade replacement, I think being a stellar student in an SMP is the easiest way to show them you've got what it takes when it comes to coursework. If you excel in one of these I think your chances are good.

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal