3.299c/~3.1s/26

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iWillOneDay

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You're doing well, but you definitely have to improve the volunteer and shadowing hours. The MCAT is not necessary to be retaken if you're okay with applying broadly, but if you're mostly serious about the more established DO programs, a retake hitting 28+ will give you better chances. You have chances this cycle at newer programs like MUCOM and ACOM if you're interested in saving yourself a year.

P.S. Toss the PA letter or use it as a character reference outside of the required sci/non-sci/Dr letters.

I think you should try one app cycle to see how it goes. If shut out, then re-take in May-June,a nd you'll be fine for the next app cycle.

1. Should I retake my mcat? I don't know how much I can raise it by but I have some time until coming January or March to study (If not May).

It's OK, but I don't believe it will satisfyt he requirement for an MD or DO LOR that schools require.

2. How is getting a LOR from a PA for medical school look? I know it will have more weight for a PA school but I still think they are good to get LOR from if I have worked with them many many times.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you should try one app cycle to see how it goes. If shut out, then re-take in May-June,a nd you'll be fine for the next app cycle.

1. Should I retake my mcat? I don't know how much I can raise it by but I have some time until coming January or March to study (If not May).

It's OK, but I don't believe it will satisfyt he requirement for an MD or DO LOR that schools require.

2. How is getting a LOR from a PA for medical school look? I know it will have more weight for a PA school but I still think they are good to get LOR from if I have worked with them many many times.

Thank you Goro. Sorry it took such as long time to respond.
Didn't apply last year because I couldn't get all the LOR and I need to get my grades up.
Applying this cycle and retaking in July 2nd, after submitting primaries.
I don't think the DO I shadowed is going to write me a recommendation letter... I emailed her a week ago but she hasn't respond back. I will try to contact her again but might have to apply with just an MD letter.
It's difficult for me to go see the DO in person because her office is 1.5 hr away and she commutes ~5 hours, oneway, every other week to that office.
And, I think I'm getting 2 recommendation from PAs. They know me personally much more than anyone else I know.
So, 1MD, 2 science, and 2 PA.
Hopefully the two PA letters don't look bad (I'm sure the content will be good).

While there are some DO schools that specificaly demand a DO LOR, mine and others realize that not everyone has ready access to a DO, like people in, say, Chicago. You'll be OK with those schools. Good luck!

Thank you Goro. Sorry it took such as long time to respond.
Didn't apply last year because I couldn't get all the LOR and I need to get my grades up.
Applying this cycle and retaking in July 2nd, after submitting primaries.
I don't think the DO I shadowed is going to write me a recommendation letter... I emailed her a week ago but she hasn't respond back. I will try to contact her again but might have to apply with just an MD letter.
It's difficult for me to go see the DO in person because her office is 1.5 hr away and she commutes ~5 hours, oneway, every other week to that office.
And, I think I'm getting 2 recommendation from PAs. They know me personally much more than anyone else I know.
So, 1MD, 2 science, and 2 PA.
Hopefully the two PA letters don't look bad (I'm sure the content will be good).