3.3-3.4 GPA >33 MCAT + Good EC ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alohameans

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

Posting here because I'll be applying for the 2011 Cycle!
I have a 3.3 GPA, which may go up a bit after calculating CC classes and summer school also the trend is currently going up :p
10 Bio 11 Verbal 12 Physics MCAT
Rising Senior at UC Berkeley
LORs should be pretty good.
Cantonese
Mandarin
A bit of Japanese-can understand more than speak.
Public Health Major (capped)
Global Poverty and Practice Minor

Construction Worker/Trainee building a medical office one summer

Worked in the Castro Walgreens Pharmacy

Part of a Community Service Fraternity APO for 2 years now-serve as a link that brought us out to partner with NEMS-largest community health clinic in SF.

Part of the Executive Committee for the Hep B Project of Alameda- we screen, educate and vaccinate patients for Hepatitis B in our community; my role is to create and manage outreach events in which we go out into the community to find these patients and set up meetings with community leaders to organize such events-right now working on Burmese and Mongolian populations along with refugee transition network and SFSU (just an example of what i do on a regular basis) As a project, we recently received the Clinton Global Initiative Outstanding Commitment Award, and we were showcased in their Miami Conference as one of the most successful projects. We also recently won the Pepsi Refresh Grant for $25,000 (I was part of the marketing team that worked on our campaign).

Also act as a representative to SF Hep B Free- Campaign in SF to eradicate Hepatitis B in San Francisco (featured on NPR and is beginning to get more press coverage in major newspapers like New York Times ETC) major political players in SF like Congressman Fiona Ma, and Ted Fang (Asia Week) and Janet Zola (DPH) are major supporters and contributers to the project.

I sit on the steering committee for Alameda Hep B Free (we are trying to emulate SF Hep B Free). We are currently receiving guidance and help from SF Hep B Free. We are currently garnering support from congressman from the East Bay, and developing a model (based on the Hep B Project's model) to tackle the disease.

I am currently starting a Hepatitis B Clinic in San Jose, and should be finalizing the contracts and volunteers before secondaries are submitted. <--this is gonna be crazy :p

By the time secondaries come in, I should have at least 50 hours of shadowing. I currently have about 40 hours (more if shadowing in a hospital on my Study abroad program counts). Most of my shadowing is with Primary Care Providers.

I used to perform the Chinese Harp Guzheng up until the end of my sophmore year, as I started to run out of time to practice and commit to the instrument, and did not want to do it half heartedly-I used to perform at venues like the Herbst Theater in SF, Saint Ignatious Church, City Hall, and Cultural Fairs. I was part of the SF Guzheng Society.

I am also currently volunteering with the Health Action Project- we develop curriculum (I personally developed the Substance Abuse and Addiction curriculum) for health classes in disadvantaged schools that cannot afford to teach health in depth, and we have currently finished our very successful first semester.

My hobbies are: playing music, writing music, Cooking, gardening bonsais, aquaculture, watercolor art, low brow art, metalworking, currently training for a marathon :p, and vinyl toys

Thats all the major things going on in my life- what's the verdict???

PS. thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You should be ok. It just depends on where you want to go, but if you apply broadly enough, you should get in.

By the way, congrats on the Hep B Project...I heard much about it.
You know of Dr. Sam So by any chance? (I figured you would b/c he's like THE Hep B guy in the Bay Area).

Yes- I have had the pleasure of meeting him a number of times- he is down by Stanford, and I was recently at a screening event at the Alameda County Hospital that we both spoke at. He's a nice guy-really passionate.

Members don't see this ad :)