3.3 cGPA, 3.2 sGPA, 33 MCAT, Serious upward trend

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dtucker5

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I just was wondering what my chances are:

cGPA 3.3

sGPA: 3.2

Serious upwards trend with a 3.6x my junior and senior year when I was taking organic, physics, biochem etc. Calculus freshman year is what is really dragging those overalls down

MCAT: 33 with a 9 PS, 11 VR, 13 BS first time taking the test

California resident but have been living on the east coast since college

Extra curriculars:

1. Tons of research. Worked in a lab for 2 years in undergrad and have a first authorship paper from it. Did a summer internship and University of Chicago and am now working in a lab at Harvard Med school. First authorship papers from the latter as well when I apply. With this comes a bunch of posters and presentations at conferences.

2. Shadowing of multiple MD’s (otho, hematology, general surgery, radiology). Overall about 100 hours total shadowing

3. Am volunteering in the ED and nuclear medicine departments, both with heavy patient interaction.

4. Working on getting my nursing assistant license, will be certified by the time I apply but probably will not have a position where I’ll have anything to talk about in the actual application.

5. Under represented minority (half African American male)

6. Was in the research and pre medical honors societies at my school, was the chapter president of the former.

7. Was a TA for 2 year in a gen bio class, was the head teaching assistant my senior year.

Thanks in advance, Right now I’m thinking that DO schools would be on the safer end but I’m curious as to where a tier with a slow start and decent MCAT to back up the improvement I made later in school.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone, I just was wondering what my chances are:

cGPA 3.3

sGPA: 3.2

Serious upwards trend with a 3.6x my junior and senior year when I was taking organic, physics, biochem etc. Calculus freshman year is what is really dragging those overalls down

MCAT: 33 with a 9 PS, 11 VR, 13 BS first time taking the test

California resident but have been living on the east coast since college

Extra curriculars:

1. Tons of research. Worked in a lab for 2 years in undergrad and have a first authorship paper from it. Did a summer internship and University of Chicago and am now working in a lab at Harvard Med school. First authorship papers from the latter as well when I apply. With this comes a bunch of posters and presentations at conferences.

2. Shadowing of multiple MD’s (otho, hematology, general surgery, radiology). Overall about 100 hours total shadowing

3. Am volunteering in the ED and nuclear medicine departments, both with heavy patient interaction.

4. Working on getting my nursing assistant license, will be certified by the time I apply but probably will not have a position where I’ll have anything to talk about in the actual application.

5. Under represented minority (half African American male)

6. Was in the research and pre medical honors societies at my school, was the chapter president of the former.

7. Was a TA for 2 year in a gen bio class, was the head teaching assistant my senior year.

Thanks in advance, Right now I’m thinking that DO schools would be on the safer end but I’m curious as to where a tier with a slow start and decent MCAT to back up the improvement I made later in school.
How many hours of active clinical experience will you have by the time you apply? When did you start that activity? The shadowing looks to be excellent, BTW.

Do you have any nonmedical community service to list?

How many hours of active clinical experience will you have by the time you apply? When did you start that activity? The shadowing looks to be excellent, BTW.

Do you have any nonmedical community service to list?

I don't really have any non medical service unless you consider a TA being service. Should have done more of that in college but it kind of fell by the wayside. I started shadowing and volunteering in January post MCAT and am still doing so, hours wise I just did the math out for when applications go live in june.

Right now I am just trying to put together a list to see sort of where I may tier. Weighing if it is it worth it applying to second tier schools ie BU, tufts, goergetown etc despite the lower end overall GPA kind of deal

Members don't see this ad :)
The Historically Black Medical Colleges are not stats-oriented, but rather are mission-driven. A lack of consistent service to those in need may hurt you there. Georgetown also finds humanistic endeavors very appealing. Are you involved in any activism that might qualify?

TA is Teaching, though if you were not paid for it, it could be listed under Volunteering.

If you can afford it, apply to some dream schools, but don't skimp on less-selective med schools that fit your stats better.

Hey just interested @dtucker5, did you end up applying last cycle? Would just like to ask how things ended up for you! Please let me know if you ever get a chance.