3.3 cGpa and 24 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

distillation

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I was wondering if someone can give me some advice. I recently graduated in May and took some time off to travel and enroll in a MCAT course in the fall. I took the MCAT in January and didn't do as well as I expected. I was planning on applying to a few SMP programs, but I noticed that this seems to be even below the standard for a few SMPs that I was interested in. Are there SMP that would accept a score in this range. Is it worth delaying the application until I retake? I'm looking for any advice I could get because I'm worried about the changing format. Which would probably take me time to re-study for.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

If you are a native Spanish speaker, you have whisper of a chance at the 3 schools that interview mainlanders.
If you are African American, you have a chance at the medical schools of the HBCU's.
If you are neither, you are a fair candidate at a few of the DO schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Actually I wasn't really interested in applying directly to medical school at the moment. But, of doing a post-bac/SMP program. And I would say my ethnicity will not allow me to apply to special programs.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
For DO schools, you need to retak ethe mCAT.

For MD, ditto above and ace an SMP or postbac.

Actually I wasn't really interested in applying directly to medical school at the moment. But, of doing a post-bac/SMP program. And I would say my ethnicity will not allow me to apply to special programs.

For DO schools, you need to retak ethe mCAT.

For MD, ditto above and ace an SMP or postbac.
hmm thanks, but I was wondering if I would have a chance at SMP or postbac programs. Some of the ones I looked into quoted higher MCAT scores as competitive or even "cutoff" and others don't seem to mention what MCAT score they are expecting. That is why I am wondering if I need to postpone my post-bac or SMP plan for some time until I can give a solid attempt at an MCAT retake

These programs are a dime-a-dozen, so just do your homework for finding them. Be prepared to relocate, if needed.

hmm thanks, but I was wondering if I would have a chance at SMP or postbac programs. Some of the ones I looked into quoted higher MCAT scores as competitive or even "cutoff" and others don't seem to mention what MCAT score they are expecting.

It might be prudent to get it out of the way, so you can focus on excelling in the post-bac.

That is why I am wondering if I need to postpone my post-bac or SMP plan for some time until I can give a solid attempt at an MCAT retake