3.3 overall, 3.4 science 28 MCAT // Downward trend

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rdhgirl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

GPA overall 3.3, science 3.4, MCAT 28

EC:
I was wanting to see about my chances for DO for this upcoming year. I have ample shadowing, years of work in a clinical hospital setting, and have volunteered at a free clinic for 4 years doing labs and room pts.

Downward trend:

Last spring I had a bad term ~2.6 (B- world history II, B intro to literature, and a C+ in evolution, W for some gen ed class I didn't need). I then had another poor semester last fall of 3.15 (B+ physics for society, B in Sociology, and W in spanish). This term I am only taking Spanish and will likely get a B+ or W.

The semester before my 2.6 GPA; I received a 3.8 while taking 18 units of upper level science. I don't like excuses; however, at the beginning of the 2.6 term I had a MSK injury that kept me awake and constant pain really effected my performance. The next terms I've been just sort of drifting... getting B's.

Prereq classes / uppers:

Gen bio: A, A
Gem chem: B, A
Organic chem: A, A
Physics: B,A
Micro (Lecture / lab) A,A
Physiology A
Genetics A
Biochem: A
400lv cell bio: B+
Neurophys: B+
Pathology A

To add a little bit more confusion to this mess - I am holding onto a dental school acceptance right now (due to start this Aug); however, cannot go because of said MSK injury... I think I may have been depressed for about a year now.

Chances? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

chances are great. but why did you apply to dental school?

Hello,

GPA overall 3.3, science 3.4, MCAT 28

EC:
I was wanting to see about my chances for DO for this upcoming year. I have ample shadowing, years of work in a clinical hospital setting, and have volunteered at a free clinic for 4 years doing labs and room pts.

Downward trend:

Last spring I had a bad term ~2.6 (B- world history II, B intro to literature, and a C+ in evolution, W for some gen ed class I didn't need). I then had another poor semester last fall of 3.15 (B+ physics for society, B in Sociology, and W in spanish). This term I am only taking Spanish and will likely get a B+ or W.

The semester before my 2.6 GPA; I received a 3.8 while taking 18 units of upper level science. I don't like excuses; however, at the beginning of the 2.6 term I had a MSK injury that kept me awake and constant pain really effected my performance. The next terms I've been just sort of drifting... getting B's.

Prereq classes / uppers:

Gen bio: A, A
Gem chem: B, A
Organic chem: A, A
Physics: B,A
Micro (Lecture / lab) A,A
Physiology A
Genetics A
Biochem: A
400lv cell bio: B+
Neurophys: B+
Pathology A

To add a little bit more confusion to this mess - I am holding onto a dental school acceptance right now (due to start this Aug); however, cannot go because of said MSK injury... I think I may have been depressed for about a year now.

Chances? thanks

Dentistry is a great career...I was seriously considering it myself. My dentist is one of the best doctors I have ever had.

Members don't see this ad :)
Finish with an upward trend and you'll be okay. I think if you like dentistry, simply stick to that.

Thank you for your guys' feedback. Let me add a little bit of information - the MSK injury that lead to my depression and downward trend has prevented me from going into dentistry. My physical therapist has been working with me but I am no longer eligible for a physical career like dentistry. This is a huge disappointment to me - it was my dream career - absolutely crushed.

Finish with an upward trend and you'll be okay. I think if you like dentistry, simply stick to that.

This is my last semester (degree = BS in biology) and I'm only taking one class... Spanish lol. If I get a B+ will that be considered upward enough? I'm hoping to apply this upcoming cycle.

The only thing keeping me going right now is I'm working in a tertiary care hospital in a cardiac ICU - I can totally see myself as an intensivist. I love the exposure I've received in my allied health job. Do you guys think this late (senior year) downward trend has destroyed my chances at DO school?

Thank you for your guys' feedback. Let me add a little bit of information - the MSK injury that lead to my depression and downward trend has prevented me from going into dentistry. My physical therapist has been working with me but I am no longer eligible for a physical career like dentistry. This is a huge disappointment to me - it was my dream career - absolutely crushed.

This is my last semester (degree = BS in biology) and I'm only taking one class... Spanish lol. If I get a B+ will that be considered upward enough? I'm hoping to apply this upcoming cycle.

The only thing keeping me going right now is I'm working in a tertiary care hospital in a cardiac ICU - I can totally see myself as an intensivist. I love the exposure I've received in my allied health job. Do you guys think this late (senior year) downward trend has destroyed my chances at DO school?

What is an MSK injury?

MSK is short for muscular/skeletal. With the information I've provided I would not like to get any more specific about the details of the injury.

I was just curious, I didn't expect you to tell us exactly what happened, I have just not heard of an MSK injury. No, your chances aren't ruined at for osteopathic medical school. There are many matriculants with a GPA lower than yours that get in. In fact, many MD schools have people that get in with a lower GPA than yours. However, if you're prevented from doing dentistry due to this injury, how can you do something like OMM?

Well, obviously that's not an upward trend, but I also don't think your chances are botched at all. Just explain what happened.

Medical schools require students to have certain technical standards (senses necessary to exam the patient, etc). If you became ineligible for dental school, did you lose one of the technical standards that might also cost you a medical school acceptance?

(Idk what else to call it besides technical standards. For instance, VCOM has 5: Observation, communication, motor, intellectual, and behavioral and social attributes)

Make sure to visit local dentists concerning your physical issues to make sure that they're actually career limiting.

Last edited:
Thank you for this feedback. I can perform the duties of a physician - I just would have limited functionality as a dentist. I would be in pain from repetitive movements and sitting & leaning over patients. When I went for a general physical the doctor gave me the all clear despite some chronic pain.

What I am most concerned about are my chances for admission given my horrible semester and lack of a recovery. Does anyone have any insight into how that will effect my chances for:

LECOM's, Pikeville, and Pacific NW SOM

Thank you for this feedback. I can perform the duties of a physician - I just would have limited functionality as a dentist. I would be in pain from repetitive movements and sitting & leaning over patients. When I went for a general physical the doctor gave me the all clear despite some chronic pain.

What I am most concerned about are my chances for admission given my horrible semester and lack of a recovery. Does anyone have any insight into how that will effect my chances for:

I honestly don't think it will affect you much at all, especially given your mitigating circumstances. I am not sure I would say anything about your depression either (I don't understand this personally as far as why it would be an issue for an adcom because it's a pretty common condition in the population, but I was told to keep it out of my application). Also, your GPA is still on par with DO matriculants on the whole. I think trends play a much larger role if your final GPA is a lot lower than the avg. matriculant. Then they would want to see an upward trend/steady improvement.

There is no way to say how it will impact you at individual schools. If you're concerned, do a semester or two more to show an upward trend. I think you should simply apply and see what happens.