3.3 science GPA - competitive for MD schools? Do I have a chance.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ILOVEMED123

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
as stated^

Members don't see this ad.

Like myself (and countless others) have said on this forum, a 3.3 sGPA by itself will NOT keep you out of most MD schools (even top 30 ones). However, if your sGPA is low (and a 3.3 is at the floor of the "acceptable range"), the other aspects of your application (especially the MCAT) must be very strong (or unique) in order to make up the slack.

For example, someone with a 3.3 sGPA, a 31 MCAT, and mediocre ECs will most likely have a very difficult time getting into a MD school. But a person with a 3.3 sGPA, 35+ MCAT, and excellent ECs across the board will probably have little trouble getting accepted somewhere. I know people with 3.3 sGPAs ending up in schools as highly ranked as the University of Michigan School of Medicine.

So everything depends on how strong the rest of your application is.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you! Can i PM u? I want to say something else, I just dont like talking on this forum publicly.

Members don't see this ad :)
Like myself (and countless others) have said on this forum, a 3.3 sGPA by itself will NOT keep you out of most MD schools (even top 30 ones). However, if your sGPA is low (and a 3.3 is at the floor of the "acceptable range"), the other aspects of your application (especially the MCAT) must be very strong (or unique) in order to make up the slack.

For example, someone with a 3.3 sGPA, a 31 MCAT, and mediocre ECs will most likely have a very difficult time getting into a MD school. But a person with a 3.3 sGPA, 35+ MCAT, and excellent ECs across the board will probably have little trouble getting accepted somewhere. I know people with 3.3 sGPAs ending up in schools as highly ranked as the University of Michigan School of Medicine.

So everything depends on how strong the rest of your application is.

Getting a 35+ MCAT, unfortunately, is not as easy as you make it seem. But I would agree that the rest of the application needs to be solid. Also, hopefully an applicant like this has an impressive upward trend. Then, he/she could have some luck at the schools that tend to 'reward' reinvention.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes to upward trend. And my overall GPA is obviously higher. Don't they know science courses are harder? Its basically one grade thats making it so low.

Which med schools like upward trends?

will they look at the trend in my grades? Or will some look at the 3.3 and just reject off the bat without looking at individual courses
My crystal ball says (which is to say my best, educated projection) that if your other numbers are acceptable to the institution, it is highly likely that a sGPA of 3.3 will be closely scrutinized to see what's what.

And by "impressive upward grade trend", after a poor grade, I'd want to see at least a year (1.5+ is better) of very high grades, like A- or better in the sciences, to reassure me that an applicant won't flounder in the science-intense environment of med school.

n=1 bla bla bla bla, but I've gotten interviews with a 3.0 sGPA. I'll let you know how things work out come May/June :p

acceptance and a few top 10 interviews w/ about the same sGPA (and a 30 - 32 MCAT)

I think that upward trend, LOR's, EC's, and personal statement were important for my app.

You can do it!!!!

The OP's top priority right now is to score very well on the new MCAT. That's going to be a determining factor whether or not he'll have a competitive application.

Reactions: 1 users