3.3 sgpa, 3.5 cgpa DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bromodideuterio

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
UPDATE: got my mcat: 126,126,130,129 for a total of 511. My app has been in and verified for MD and DO, wondering about a school list now.
UPDATE:
So, since this post I decided I would delay my MCAT so that I'd be able to apply with my senior year grades as well. I now have a 3.57 cgpa and 3.44 sgpa, with my last 4 semester being
3.59->3.83->4.0->4.0. I have one semster left, and if I get another 4.0 I should have about a 3.6 cgpa(maybe a 3.59) and a 3.51 sgpa. My MCAT is scheduled for May. My updated EC's include:
2 years working as a research assistant in an ED
7 months of being a research assistant for clinical trials with the Genetics department in a university hospital
6 ish months of being an assistant in a lab at my college, not publishing anything
I've begun working in a lab that I will continue to work in during my gap year, which involves having my own project regarding childhood obesity and lots of patient contact-I expect at least a poster, but not by the time I'll apply.
Same volunteer situation as before, although more hours. 300+, clinical and non
So, now I'm beginning to build a schools list, and I'm wondering where I should be applying. I'd be happy as a DO or MD, just want to be a doctor. Should I apply to any MD programs, or would I be wasting money? (NY resident)
Where should I be looking to score on the MCAT now?
School suggestions?

I've gotten a C+ in 3 different Bio Labs, as well as in Ochem 1. I'm a junior, and I would say my grades have a decent upward trend. Should I take the MCAT this spring, or should I wait, and take a gap year and attempt to improve my gpa? Where should I look to score on the MCAT to have a chance with my stats?
EC's
-1 year clinical research in an ED
-Officer of club that volunteers in children's hospitals
-3 years as a Student Service leader (In charge at various volunteer sites, lead student participant reflection) (this is a paid position)
-typical amount of shadowing
-Havent calculated volunteer hours, although I'm assuming its in the
300's

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
GPA is fine for DO esp with an upward trend. Make sure you can do well on the MCAT 507+ ideally before taking it.

Your GPA is fine for any DO school, so no need to delay MCAT and/or take gap year.

I've gotten a C+ in 3 different Bio Labs, as well as in Ochem 1. I'm a junior, and I would say my grades have a decent upward trend. Should I take the MCAT this spring, or should I wait, and take a gap year and attempt to improve my gpa? Where should I look to score on the MCAT to have a chance with my stats?
EC's
-1 year clinical research in an ED
-Officer of club that volunteers in children's hospitals
-3 years as a Student Service leader (In charge at various volunteer sites, lead student participant reflection) (this is a paid position)
-typical amount of shadowing
-Havent calculated volunteer hours, although I'm assuming its in the
300's

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Post your MCAT score when available in June. A 500 should be fine for some DO schools as long as you apply broadly. 508 or higher would give you a chance for MD schools such as the SUNY's, Albany, NYMC.

Reactions: 1 user
Don't make a school list without an MCAT score. A 508+ (ideally 510+) will give you a good shot at some of your state schools, especially with your upward trend. Out all your efforts into getting that last 4.0 and the MCAT. A great MCAT score could net you some love from some mid-top tier schools.

You are competitive for all DO schools so apply to at least 8 and you should receive several interviews. For MD schools consider all these:
All 4 SUNY's
Albany
NYMC
Quinnipiac
Vermont
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
GW
Oakland Beaumont
Rosalind Franklin