3.30 cGPA, 3.25 sGPA, 31Q MCAT - VA Resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

steelblue89

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a VA resident and a just graduated from a large top tier state school. My GPAs are 3.30 cGPA/3.25 sGPA - had a rough year my sophomore year but was 3.7 and 3.5 last two semesters. I got a 31Q on my MCAT last August, but took it again on May 7th and waiting to find out those scores.

I have done research at a couple different labs but no publications. Shadowed a few different doctors for a total of around 50hrs and have 50 hours clinical volunteering experience. Volunteered in surgical supply unit at the hospital throughout my senior year for around 30 hours each semester. Also have two years of weekly non-clinical volunteering as a tutor around 2 hours a week. Minor leadership position for 2 years in a student organization and membership in a few others. Another leadership role which was significant, I coached a youth 7-8 yr old basketball team this past semester.

I would really like to get into VCU or another nearby VA/DC school, and as a side note, I have done research at the Pharm/Tox department last summer at VCU School of Medicine. I am also continuing the same research this summer and during my gap year.

Any suggestions of where to apply with my stats and what my chances are? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am a VA resident and a just graduated from a large top tier state school. My GPAs are 3.30 cGPA/3.25 sGPA - had a rough year my sophomore year but was 3.7 and 3.5 last two semesters. I got a 31Q on my MCAT last August, but took it again on May 7th and waiting to find out those scores.

I have done research at a couple different labs but no publications. Shadowed a few different doctors for a total of around 50hrs and have 50 hours clinical volunteering experience. Volunteered in surgical supply unit at the hospital throughout my senior year for around 30 hours each semester. Also have two years of weekly non-clinical volunteering as a tutor around 2 hours a week. Minor leadership position for 2 years in a student organization and membership in a few others. Another leadership role which was significant, I coached a youth 7-8 yr old basketball team this past semester.

I would really like to get into VCU or another nearby VA/DC school, and as a side note, I have done research at the Pharm/Tox department last summer at VCU School of Medicine. I am also continuing the same research this summer and during my gap year.

Any suggestions of where to apply with my stats and what my chances are? Thanks in advance.
Extrapolating from AAMC stats grids for All Applicants, I extrapolate chances with a 3.3/31 in past years to be 32%. Wth a MCAT score of 35, that would rise to 51%. These figures include those who completed an SMP, have modifying factors to their application that lead to special consideration, or who have a much higher BCPM.

Your clinical experience, BTW, is well below the average of 150 hours, but the rest of your ECs look good.

Have you considered doing an SMP to improve your chances, or adding some DO schools to your application list?

Thanks for the advice Catalystik.

Just received my MCAT score today and got a 35R!

Any suggestions on what schools I should apply to?

Members don't see this ad :)
With a 3.3/35, other schools you might research for fit that have an OOS matriculation rate of > 15%:

Loyola, RFU, UKentucky, Creighton, Albany, SUNY Downstate, Hofstra (new), Jefferson, MCW,
UIllinois, Wayne, Buffalo, Toledo, UNebraska, Drexel, Temple, Vermont, Arizona,
GWU, FIU, Louisville, Tulane, NYMC, MUSC, SCarolina, Florida Atlantic University (new),
Rush, Michigan State, Oakland (new),

Thanks for the advice Catalystik.

Just received my MCAT score today and got a 35R!

Any suggestions on what schools I should apply to?

Hell Yes!. congratulations. I would apply to the following

Gerorgetown
FIU
You mentioned vcu
Howard....:rolleyes:
George washington
Mt Sinai...a bit of a reach
Boston.....small applicant pool
Albany medica......l good stats fit
New York Medical college.....high Mcat should offset 3.6 median gpa

good luck.:luck:

Thanks a lot both of you, really appreciate your help.