3.32 cGPA, 3.37 sGPA 35 mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rrrrr5

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey-

3.32/3.37/35; HYPS grad. I am a reapplicant. Past cycle I only applied MD and in Oct/Nov. No iis. My sGPA has a downward trend in my junior/senior year (partially due to a family illness). Spoke to an admissions counselor at UC, he said I needed to do a year of full-time advanced science courses (20-30 units) before I even think about re-applying. Have 100 clinical volunteering hours and some shadowing. He said I needed more extensive clinical experience also. But, unfortunately I am 24 and I work full-time so I can't do the courses or the clinical hours...

I am interested in DO as well, but I wasn't familiar with it when I applied this past cycle. Would I be competitive even with my sub-average GPA and downward trend? Was the admissions counselor correct in saying I had no chance with MD unless I do the additional advanced sciences and clinical exp? I.E. could submitting early with strong LORs, PS, and a diversity of schools give me a different result in the MD?

Lastly, I live in norcal and not many DOs in the area. Would an MD letter suffice, or given my grades should I worry I do not have DO shadowing or a letter?

cheers!

Members don't see this ad.

Did you have any interviews last time around? If you did, ask all of those schools to discuss what went wrong.

First off, a 3.3 at H isn't the same as a 3.3 at Y -- known grade inflation vs. known grade deflation. So which were you? Either way, undergrad prestige combined with strong MCAT may get you a little love, but just a little.

If you're looking for a similar caliber (HYPS) medical school and would not be happy with a mid-tier, then I'd agree that the admissions counselor is right. If you're wanting US MD, and not necessarily in California, then I think you'd be OK with your current numbers, though ECs and shadowing could certainly benefit from a bit of beefing up. Apply early this time, don't over-reach in your school list, and get some more volunteer time in now (someplace NOT glamorous to show you're a decent person)

The "Unfortunately I work full time and can't" bit isn't going to go over well as it implies a lack of dedication -- that you'd like to become a doctor if it isn't too much trouble.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Your numbers are fine for any DO school. They will not be for any MD, unless, as you were told, you do a post-back or SMP.

In NorCal, you're in driving distance of TUCOM and Western-Corvallis, so take a day off and go visit and chat up the DO faculty. Most DO programs are OK of you can't get a DO LOR, or find one to shadow.

hey-

3.32/3.37/35; HYPS grad. I am a reapplicant. Past cycle I only applied MD and in Oct/Nov. No iis. My sGPA has a downward trend in my junior/senior year (partially due to a family illness). Spoke to an admissions counselor at UC, he said I needed to do a year of full-time advanced science courses (20-30 units) before I even think about re-applying. Have 100 clinical volunteering hours and some shadowing. He said I needed more extensive clinical experience also. But, unfortunately I am 24 and I work full-time so I can't do the courses or the clinical hours...

I am interested in DO as well, but I wasn't familiar with it when I applied this past cycle. Would I be competitive even with my sub-average GPA and downward trend? Was the admissions counselor correct in saying I had no chance with MD unless I do the additional advanced sciences and clinical exp? I.E. could submitting early with strong LORs, PS, and a diversity of schools give me a different result in the MD?

Lastly, I live in norcal and not many DOs in the area. Would an MD letter suffice, or given my grades should I worry I do not have DO shadowing or a letter?

cheers!

Good to know. I like Tucom and western-corvallis. Will focus on applying DO with maybe a handful of lower tier MD.

But, unfortunately I am 24 and I work full-time so I can't do the courses or the clinical hours...
I hate everything about this sentence. Minor quibble: your age is completely irrelevant.
As for the rest...you can take the classes while working full-time. It is possible.
You can also cut back to part time, get a clinical part time job, and also take classes.
You can do a whole TON of things...some may be worth it, others may not, depending on where you want to go in life and how long you're willing to spend getting there. But don't go down the whole 'everyone tells me to do xyz but I just can't' road as an excuse for the choices you make going forward. Take the time to actually decide whether the extra effort would be worth it to you, make a decision, and own that decision. It is perfectly valid to decide that taking courses is an inefficient use of your time, or that you want to go DO, so you don't need extensive repair, but don't mind throwing an MD app in the ring...there are an insanely high number of completely valid choices and strategies here. But you need to actually sit down and pick your course of action instead of throwing your hands up, saying "I can't", and acting like it was inevitable if things don't turn out the way you planned.

Reactions: 1 users
I hate everything about this sentence. Minor quibble: your age is completely irrelevant.
As for the rest...you can take the classes while working full-time. It is possible.
You can also cut back to part time, get a clinical part time job, and also take classes.
You can do a whole TON of things...some may be worth it, others may not, depending on where you want to go in life and how long you're willing to spend getting there. But don't go down the whole 'everyone tells me to do xyz but I just can't' road as an excuse for the choices you make going forward. Take the time to actually decide whether the extra effort would be worth it to you, make a decision, and own that decision. It is perfectly valid to decide that taking courses is an inefficient use of your time, or that you want to go DO, so you don't need extensive repair, but don't mind throwing an MD app in the ring...there are an insanely high number of completely valid choices and strategies here. But you need to actually sit down and pick your course of action instead of throwing your hands up, saying "I can't", and acting like it was inevitable if things don't turn out the way you planned.

You are right!

Food for thought, it is def. possible....working as a scribe, overnight in an ER, where you come back in the morning, sleep for 6 hours or so....do your "educational" stuff from 1-7pm...its doable....people do it, have done it, and will continue to do it....

You are right!

Food for thought, it is def. possible....working as a scribe, overnight in an ER, where you come back in the morning, sleep for 6 hours or so....do your "educational" stuff from 1-7pm...its doable....people do it, have done it, and will continue to do it....
Personally, I prefer working 12 hr shifts for the F/T scribing, then working a P/T 9-5 job that actually pays bills 2 days a week and taking classes in the evenings on those days.

Last edited: