3.32cGPA, 3.18sGPA, 32MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mnkybusiness89

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Ok, here goes. I really bombed my first two years of undergrad at UMD. I APed out of a lot of lower level science courses and went straight for upper level science courses, kept crammed more and more of them into coming semesters as my grades continued to decrease. I did improve my grades significantly my junior and senior year, and only got 1 B my senior year, the rest were As.
My cGPA trend: 3.11--> 2.92 --> 3.61 --> 3.75 (and an overall cGPA of 3.32)

My sGPA trend: 2.82 --> 2.66 --> 3.60 --> 3.74 (and an overall sGPA of 3.18)

I took the MCAT twice (1 year apart, took the June test). The first time I got a 23R, the second time a 32R (12PS, 9VR, 11BS). English is technically my second language (I learned Russian first), but it is the language I speak most often.

My clinical experiences are:
Shadowed a primary care physician for a summer: 70+ hours
Shadowed an endocrinologist for 3 summers: 100+ hours
Shadowed a clinical pathologist in Kiev, Ukraine for a summer (particularly working with post-Chernobyl patients): ~50 hours.
Shadowing a team of physicians at NIH ICU (about once a month for ~2hours), since September: ~15 hours so far, continuing with this

My research experience:
-3 years of research in the clinical endocrinology branch at the NIH during my high school and early college summers - presented poster at summer research festival my 3rd year
-2 years of neuroscience research in a developmental neuroscience lab studying developing cortico-thalamic circuits and how developmental disorders of these circuits causes epilepsy (as undergrad) -acknowledgement in paper, no publications
-1 year of research in behavioral neuroscience lab (as undergrad) - studied spectrotemporal tuning properties of auditory neurons and prefrontal cotrex neurons in ferrets- acknowledgement in paper
-Currently doing a 2-year post-bacc fellowship at NIH, studying interaction of prefrontal cortex and amygdala in emotional perception in non-human primates, and how malfunction leads to neuropsychiatric disorders. Already have 2 posters that I'll be presenting im April, one at a conference in Wisconsin, 1 at the annual poster day for postbaccs. Will also (most likely) be presenting a 3rd poster in October at annual neuroscience conference, and will most likely be a primary author on a paper coming out in early 2013. Also get to assist with primate neurosurgery.

Other ECs:
-Taking some upper level stat and bio graduate courses through FAES (at NIH) that may be able to be transferred to my school (not sure about this yet).
-Member of the community service committee at NIH that organizes community service events for postbaccs to participate in
-Started volunteering with Project Sunshine in September 2011. We work with sick children at local hospitals and do crafts with them, play with them, etc.
-Volunteered with Habitat for Humanity a few times this year through the postbacc committee (actually organized for a group of postbaccs to come volunteer)
-I'm also on the waitlist to volunteer at the surgical department at NIH (as a patient ambassador)
-Was an undergrad teaching assistant for microbiology
-Worked as a gymnatics coach for a year ( I was a gymnast for 11 years, retired after high school)
-Recreationally, I competed in rock climbing in college, won a few 1st and 3rd places and also took up cross-country running, ran several races in the DC area.
-Fluent in Russian and minored in Italian in undergrad

I'm a resident of MD, and plan to apply broadly (20+ schools). What are my chances of getting into a US allopathic program?

Members don't see this ad.

Your research is looking really good. MCAT is basically average, probably is for the next cycle considering it goes up every year. EC's are solid. Bi-lingual definitely looks great.

I would say you would have a pretty good shot if it wasn't for your GPA. You have a good upward trend which will help but I don't know if it will be enough to convince adcoms. It would really be a gamble. If you really want allopathic then apply to 30+ schools across the country and do some praying. Also consider taking another cycle off and taking addition undergraduate science courses to raise your GPA a little more.

DO schools are definitely worth considering given your situation. Your GPA is still on the low end but your MCAT is way above the average and your EC's are noteworthy.

Your research is looking really good. MCAT is basically average, probably is for the next cycle considering it goes up every year. EC's are solid. Bi-lingual definitely looks great.

I would say you would have a pretty good shot if it wasn't for your GPA. You have a good upward trend which will help but I don't know if it will be enough to convince adcoms. It would really be a gamble. If you really want allopathic then apply to 30+ schools across the country and do some praying. Also consider taking another cycle off and taking addition undergraduate science courses to raise your GPA a little more.

DO schools are definitely worth considering given your situation. Your GPA is still on the low end but your MCAT is way above the average and your EC's are noteworthy.

His score is definitely not average, in fact it puts him in the 88th%. Maybe it's average for SDN standards.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MCAT

Members don't see this ad :)
I followed a very similar path and just got accepted this cycle so don't give up. My GPA trend was similar with a 32 MCAT and I took an extra year to do a post bacc after undergrad. A lot of schools weeded up out pre-interview simply because of the GPA but this isn't the case for all schools. Its definitely an uphill battle but some schools do take notice in upward GPA trends and will forgive a slow start. One thing I noticed that helped me a lot was making up for the lower GPA by expanding on other areas like volunteering. I volunteered with habitat for humanity 2 to 3 times per month, the hours really add up plus its fun

Last edited:
It's average for accepted, isn't it?

Yes, 32Q is the average.

OP, if I were you, I'd be getting ready to fill out a whole lot of secondaries (which is actually what I did as well...). Your application is sort of "unique" in a way, and so it's hard to guess which schools will bite. The solution is just to apply everywhere!

I would also be realistic. Your gpa is WAY low. The mcat will balance it out for DO schools, but an MD school will be tough. If you want allo, plan on a SMP. You may be able to skate an acceptance in because of the rest of your app, but i wouldn't bank on it. If you are OK with DO then apply to both hoping for the best. Your call.

In conclusion, if you want to be a doctor..apply broadly to both DO and MD programs. You should get in somewhere if you apply broadly enough.

The upward trend is very favorable as well as the wealth of activities. Unfortunately, your numbers are still low. While it is possible to gain an acceptance, a better plan of action is to apply to both MD and DO colleges.

Best of luck.

OP will definitely get multiple DO acceptances if he/she OK with DO. MD will be an uphill battle due to low GPAs.