3.35cGPA, 3.3sGPA, 32 MCAT, Ohio

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Strokezone99

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Only applying to a few instate MD schools(UC, Wright State, OSU) and a variety of DO programs (OUCOM, LECOM, MSUCOM, KCUMB, PCOM). Had 1 bad quarter (2.7gpa) because I took Organic, Bio, and physics. 3.7gpa for the last year on my application

EC's:
Working 20+ hours/week (non-clinical)
3 years of Hospice volunteering- 300 hours
2 years of leadership position in student service organization (tons of volunteering)
Primary Care Physician shadowing- 40 hours
Trauma Surgeon shadowing- 20 hours
1 semester of research in evolutionary genetics lab
2 semesters of research in craniofacial plastic surgery lab
Still searching for DO to shadow in the next few weeks

LORs:
2 from science professors (1 is evolutionary genetics lab PI)
1 from Hospice volunteer coordinator
1 from Primary Care Physician/Hospice medical director
1 from PI in craniofacial lab (also sits on admissions committee for one of the MD programs)

Dream school is UC :love: and my letters hold the most weight there ;). Just wondering if MD programs are out of reach and which DO programs are suitable for my stats.

Thank you for any input!

Members don't see this ad.

You have pretty good ECs, but Is your MCAT balanced? Your GPA is a little low for MDs, but it doesn't completely shut you down for them because of the upward trend. I think it's good that you are applying to DO schools as well. You should be very competitive for DO's. However, I think you could get into an MD as well. Apply to more lower-tier MDs, such as Eastern Virginia, Toledo, Rush, and the new medical schools. Good luck!

Yeah, you'll be fine for DO. UC could be tough. Their average MCAT I think is close to 33 and GPAs are a few 10ths higher than yours. Why aren't you applying to all Ohio MD schools? We're lucky with the number of schools we have.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should add Northeast Ohio and Toledo! Both are public and your MCAT puts you within their stat range, despite the lower GPA. Your volunteering looks fabulous and you have variety in your LORs, so those extra schools would probably be worth a shot!

You have pretty good ECs, but Is your MCAT balanced? Your GPA is a little low for MDs, but it doesn't completely shut you down for them because of the upward trend. I think it's good that you are applying to DO schools as well. You should be very competitive for DO's. However, I think you could get into an MD as well. Apply to more lower-tier MDs, such as Eastern Virginia, Toledo, Rush, and the new medical schools. Good luck!

MCAT score was fairly well balanced P-11 B-11 V-10. I may swap Toledo for OSU, but I'm not sure if it's worth it to me to go to a lower-tier MD rather than attending an upper DO school.

Yeah, you'll be fine for DO. UC could be tough. Their average MCAT I think is close to 33 and GPAs are a few 10ths higher than yours. Why aren't you applying to all Ohio MD schools? We're lucky with the number of schools we have.

I don't feel that I am competitive at many of the schools in Ohio. I have a letter from admissions committee member at my top choice school. I feel that is one of the only things keeping me in the game for MD, but outside of that school it will carry considerably less weight. I will be giving Toledo a shot, but I think my money is better spent on applying to top-tier DO programs. I don't know if leaving Ohio for a lower-tier MD program is worth it to me.

I don't feel that I am competitive at many of the schools in Ohio. I have a letter from admissions committee member at my top choice school. I feel that is one of the only things keeping me in the game for MD, but outside of that school it will carry considerably less weight. I will be giving Toledo a shot, but I think my money is better spent on applying to top-tier DO programs. I don't know if leaving Ohio for a lower-tier MD program is worth it to me.

I disagree. I was going to DMU before I got into Toledo. I would have been happy to go there, but going with the MD school is a no brainer. Yes the gap is closing, but when it comes to residencies your best bet is MD. If it's your forte, research will be better too. Yes, I would've gone out of state for it.

I also agree that you should apply to NEUCOM and Toledo as well to increase your MD chances. I think you have a very promising shot at DO. Look at the other low tier MDs as well: Marshall, Chicago Franklin, along with others that tend to have lower stats.

Definitely add Toledo and NEOUCOM (or swap out OSU for Toledo at least). Also, I wouldn't count on a LoR being that much of a game changer.

I agree with the fact that a LOR will not make a huge impact on your chances. Im a Cincinnati resident, 34 MCAT, 3.7 GPA, great EC's and Clinical experience with parents who taught at the university and multiple letters from UC physicians and got wait listed.....there are no guarantees or ins with med school admissions IMO

I interviewed at all the Ohio schools and I agree that you should add NEOUCOM and Toledo and focus more on lower-tier MD schools as an MD will open up a few more doors than DO. You should even consider applying to some neighboring OOS Public schools as well.

I agree with the fact that a LOR will not make a huge impact on your chances. Im a Cincinnati resident, 34 MCAT, 3.7 GPA, great EC's and Clinical experience with parents who taught at the university and multiple letters from UC physicians and got wait listed.....there are no guarantees or ins with med school admissions IMO

I interviewed at all the Ohio schools and I agree that you should add NEOUCOM and Toledo and focus more on lower-tier MD schools as an MD will open up a few more doors than DO. You should even consider applying to some neighboring OOS Public schools as well.

Why do you suggest this? Public schools in indiana and kentucky are not OOS friendly at all. However, with that being said, many people at my school (OSU) apply to these schools. Do they give greater consideration to neighboring OOS students compared to other OOSers?

Why do you suggest this? Public schools in indiana and kentucky are not OOS friendly at all. However, with that being said, many people at my school (OSU) apply to these schools. Do they give greater consideration to neighboring OOS students compared to other OOSers?

I think that they do. I interviewed at UK, UL, IU, WVU, Marshall for OOS schools and will be matriculating to the University of Louisville this fall. I know that both West Virginia schools are kind to OOS from neighboring states. I went to undergrad in Indiana, so I think if you have some connection and solid stats you can receive an interview. Ultimately my S/O is from Kentucky so it was a connection and deciding factor for me over my in-state selections. Michigan is not as friendly to Ohio residents IMO, but KY, WVU and Indiana definitely showed some love if you can give some connection drawing you to their medical school.