3.37 Cgpa, 3.3 Sgpa, 24 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shaner123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long-time Lurker here, just received my MCAT score today and not too thrilled (8PS/6VR/10BS). Have decent GPA and EC's. What are my chances at Podiatry?

--200 hours volunteering ER/patient floors.
--250 hours shadowing multiple sspecialties(mainly ortho) have a letter of rec from a doc and it's very strong
--100 volunteering at a homeless shelter
--Worked as a pharmacy technician for a year in high school
--1.5 years of research in an entomology lab studying bee virus pathology associated with colony collapse disorder with a puplication on the way in months
--4 strong letters of recommendation

--Most recent semester GPA: 3.75 and in higher level sciences courses

Strong upward trend compared to earlier years. Attend a large public university in PA and am a PA resident. Obviously the GPA is not the best. Do I have a shot of acceptance to a podiatry school? Preferably Temple...

Members don't see this ad.

You're good.

Take a look at the what are my chances thread and you will see a lot of applicants with the same stats. Good luck!!

The 6 in verbal won't hurt my chances? What schools am I competitive for?

Members don't see this ad :)
So I have a great shot at Temple and New York? Also, how is Pod structured? Like to become a surgeon?

So I have a great shot at Temple and New York? Also, how is Pod structured? Like to become a surgeon?

Oh boy... You should do some serious research and shadowing before applying. Too many people view podiatry as a fall back and enter without really knowing what it entails.

To answer your (very general) question, every student completing their 4 year degree will then follow it with a 3 year surgical residency. Whether you "become a surgeon" depends on passing boards and where you work/what patients you see.

Reactions: 1 users
Oh boy... You should do some serious research and shadowing before applying. Too many people view podiatry as a fall back and enter without really knowing what it entails.

To answer your (very general) question, every student completing their 4 year degree will then follow it with a 3 year surgical residency. Whether you "become a surgeon" depends on passing boards and where you work/what patients you see.

I actually have shadowing set up. But do I have a good shot of getting into pod school?

I actually have shadowing set up. But do I have a good shot of getting into pod school?

You'll get interviews and unless they go poorly you'll get accepted. You'd have a better chance beginning in the next cycle (August). Just don't make your decision on that premise alone.

I won't be applying until the next cycle. But with a small increase to my gpa (3.4) I would get acceptances? Even to Temple?

What is the weakest part of my app to pod schools? I would love either NYCPM or Temple.

Thanks for the information. Anymore input on my chances at acceptance to Pod schools?

Don't go to pod school unless you can truly appreciate the work you'd be doing. This is not a backdoor to becoming a physician just because you weren't accepted this cycle. Do your research, shadow and determine if you actually want to be a podiatrist. If you'd honestly prefer to be a DO/MD, you'll never be satisfied with your career choice.

If you choose to pursue DO/MD, apply for a SMP; Drexel has some great programs in Philly.

If you want to be a podiatrist, make sure you're doing it for the right reasons.

Reactions: 3 users