DO 3.38 cGPA, 3.06 sGPA, 30 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tar_heel

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's getting into the 2014-2015 app cycle and I'm wondering if I should apply or wait another year. Stats:

Rising senior at UNC-CH
3.38 cGPA, 3.06 sGPA with SIGNIFICANT downward trend (As in sciences --> Cs in sciences in the last 2 years)
30 MCAT (10/11/9)
good amount of clinical experience, great other ecs, some (1 summer) research
good/great LORs
URM

My plan was to apply to postbaccs for next year, but paying for a postbacc may not be feasible. Given how late I would be applying and the downward trend, should I bother applying this cycle? Or should I wait to be more competitive for MD/DO later? I'm very open to DO schools and will likely apply to some regardless of where my stats are after 1-2 years of GPA repair. But is it worth it to apply DO-only now and hope for the best?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
nope, this would be my first app cycle

nope, this would be my first app cycle
The main thing holding you back this cycle from MD interviews is an unverified AMCAS application. An early application would dramatically increase your odds of acceptance but you are still a strong candidate for HBCU's even now.

I would rather attend a DO school than an HBCU to be honest. Are chances at schools like PCOM & Rowan good? I've heard their app cycle tends to be longer.

I don't think it's that late if you can get submitted and ready to go asap! you have great chances at many DO schools and I'd think a fair number of MD with that mcat. good luck

At which sorts of MD schools do you think I would have a fair shot?

the downward trend is a little disheartening.

At which sorts of MD schools do you think I would have a fair shot?
https://members.aamc.org/eweb/DynamicPage.aspx?Action=Add&ObjectKeyFrom=1A83491A-9853-4C87-86A4-F7D95601C2E2&WebCode=PubDetailAdd&DoNotSave=yes&ParentObject=CentralizedOrderEntry&ParentDataObject=Invoice Detail&ivd_formkey=69202792-63d7-4ba2-bf4e-a0da41270555&ivd_prc_prd_key=D22D468B-3B40-4CA0-8041-C313D7FA8852

A subscription to MSAR online is all you need to figure out what MD schools are great for you based on stats, acceptance preferences, etc. you will need to do more work for DO schools as an official compiled database for DO schools does not exist that includes all of the same info.

I doubt you'll have any luck with MD programs but you should get at least a couple DO interviews with those stats. You'd get more with a higher sGPA

Unfortunately it might be a little late if you haven't even started the primary application. Find the science course with the worst grade and the most credit hours and mathesize your new sGPA assuming you pull an A. Decide if it's worth retaking that course and either do it or don't.

I doubt you'll have any luck with MD programs but you should get at least a couple DO interviews with those stats. You'd get more with a higher sGPA

Unfortunately it might be a little late if you haven't even started the primary application. Find the science course with the worst grade and the most credit hours and mathesize your new sGPA assuming you pull an A. Decide if it's worth retaking that course and either do it or don't.
I wouldn't say OP doesn't have a chance at any MD schools, although the ones where OP has the highest chance (HBCUs) are not preferred by OP

I would rather attend a DO school than an HBCU to be honest. Are chances at schools like PCOM & Rowan good? I've heard their app cycle tends to be longer.
these two DO schools give preference to AA's, you have great chances at them. However, you can probably still get into an MD school, as your numbers are above the average for AA. just get a move-on with your AMCAS.

After giving this a considerable amount of thought, I've decided to wait on applying until next summer. I want to have the best application possible and don't want to sell myself short. The plan is to apply to either post-baccs or SMPs for my gap year to assure adcoms that I can handle the work. I know the Cs in sciences I've been getting don't reflect my potential, but reflect the unfortunate circumstances I've been in the past 2 years (dealing with stressful family issues and letting that affect my grades). I want to be competitive for MD & DO programs so that I have options when I start applying.

Given that, what programs should I be looking at? I'm torn between SMPs and post-baccs because while SMPs I can get loans for, I'm unclear on whether full-time post-baccs are often able to be funded. I've been looking at Harvard Extension and Penn SSP in particular, but I really want to focus on school full-time instead of worrying about work and money. On the other hand, I like the idea of improving my undergrad GPA, and I realize that can only be done in a post-bacc because SMPs are masters-level classes. The BU MAMS program I like because I intend to get an MPH eventually, so if I can do that while in the dual-degree MS/MPH program that would be ideal. But like I said, I think improving my undergrad GPA is also important. Advice/thoughts?

I am in a similar boat as you: 3.23 cGPA, 3.08 sGPA, 29 MCAT. My primary plan is to retake the MCAT and some courses to alleviate the downward trend in my science upper divs, as I know I can raise my sGPA to around a 3.4 by retaking 4-5 classes. I am also going to apply to some postbaccs and SMPs but am leaning towards retaking classes and getting into DO so that I can stay in-state (CA) as I read this is a much more cost-efficient plan (SMPs will run nearly $50k and I wouldn't receive much financial aid). Still, I would love to hear what others think.