3.39 cGPA, 3.2 sGPA, MCAT pending [Need Advice]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whyorwhynot

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need advice, and the cold-hard truth.

As I wrote in the title, I am currently at these statistics:
3.39 cGPA
3.2 sGPA
MCAT pending

Non-clinical/Research Experience
- Tutoring (General Biology, General Chemistry, Calculus, Japanese) - 2 years
- Mentor for incoming freshmen - 2 years
- Resident Assistant/Mentor/Tutor for a summer program for underrepresented female high school students - 2 week program, 1 summer
- Pre-orientation program leader - 1 weekend, 1 summer
- Chairperson for Japanese Culture Society and Chinese Culture Society - 2 years

Clinical/Research Experience
- Hospital volunteer - two hospitals, since high school?
- Clinical Research Associate in the ED - 1 semester
- Research lab shadowing - 1 semester (same hospital and time period as the RA position above)
- Independent research project in a research lab at my university - 1 semester and continuing into next year
- Summer pre-medical/research fellow at an Ivy institution; includes physician shadowing - 1 summer (this summer)
- Mission trip to Kingston, Jamaica visiting a hospice, children's hospital, center for abandoned and disabled children, and elementary school

I am self-taught in Japanese and have a tremendous passion for East Asian culture (as demonstrated in my leadership positions and straight As in all my Japanese courses). I am studying hardcore for the MCATs regardless of whether or not I apply this cycle or next year, but I am registered to take it August 9th. I am sincerely aiming for a DO school. However I received a C in Genetics, a C+ in Organic Chemistry, and a C+ in Biochemistry I. I know it is hard to gauge without an MCAT score but am I essentially out of luck, and would it be in my best interest to postpone my application for a year?
I don't know if a SMP or post-bac program would be better because I received perfect As in Biology, Chemistry, and Calculus (there are no A+s at my university), and B-s in both Physics I and II and Orgo II.

I am interested in schools such as UMDNJ-SOM, PCOM, and NYCOM (not the complete list).

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You're fine for DO programs. You'd definite get an interview at my school, pending a good MCAT, of course. Re-taking the C grades will do wonders for your GPA, but I think you're fine as is.

However I received a C in Genetics, a C+ in Organic Chemistry, and a C+ in Biochemistry I. I know it is hard to gauge without an MCAT score but am I essentially out of luck, and would it be in my best interest to postpone my application for a year?

Not worth it.
I don't know if a SMP or post-bac program would be better because I received perfect As in Biology, Chemistry, and Calculus (there are no A+s at my university), and B-s in both Physics I and II and Orgo II.

Thank you :) I'll update how everything goes for future thread viewers.