MD 3.39 cGPA, MCAT in Sept, Non-Trad Veteran Purple Heart w/ medical experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EmmJayy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to evaluate my chances of acceptance at medical schools for the 2015 application cycle. Chem major, minor in psychology at a large public university. 3.39 GPA due to one bad semester with terrible grades, 3.74 from my original institution I transferred from. I was in a car accident and completed many classes from home in a wheel chair, leading to the bad grades. I was registered with Disability Services at my school to have the van pick me up in my wheel chair to come in for exams.

I also have good LORs from some of the Professors from those classes stating that the grades I received under the circumstances were more impressive than As from traditional students. I also have a fantastic LOR from one of my Senators who was a guest lecturer at my university. Total LORs are 3 science, 1 Senator/Instructor, 1 from current employer as a chemist.

I am also a Marine infantry veteran of Iraq with a purple heart and years of trauma medical experience. I was a Combat Lifesaver and went through multiple combat medical courses while in service. I am currently working as a chemist in a private pharmaceutical firm in MA.

I previously took the MCAT and scored 35Q. I am retaking due to expiration of my previous score, but I would assume I will score similarly. I am taking the test Sept. 18th.

The schools on my list are:
Boston University
Tufts
Drexel
University of Vermont
UConn
Rowan/Cooper
New Jersey Medical School
Baylor (Texas, a reach school)

I was considering:
UCF
FIU
FAU
USF
UMaryland
Emory

What other schools should I apply to? Can I get in? Is this MCAT too late?

If anybody that could assist me with knowledge, experiences, etc. I would greatly appreciate it. I've always felt that medicine was my calling, but I've lived a hard life and I wasn't able to consider it until now. I am 27 years old.

Thank you everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry for the long post. I have a lot of unique circumstances.

State of residence? That seems to be a request for people helping out with these lists. Have you been studying for the MCAT and taking practice tests? You obviously did really well last time but it's really easy to forget things after years of not touching the material.

I'm curious why you have 4 FL public schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am studying for the MCAT, I have 6 weeks to prep. I believe I will be capable of repeating the score or increasing it. I work in a science intensive field involving a lot of chemistry, math, and bio.

My residency could be considered VT or NH for academic purposes.

Florida schools were just due to location, weather (wanting a change), and having some family there. I am open to all suggestions, those are just ideas I was tossing around.

If you have a choice you should definitely choose Vermont as your residence instead of New Hampshire. University of Vermont gives strong preferences to state residents. For the same reason, it is a long shot to apply to the Florida state schools, UConn, Maryland, Rowan, New Jersey since they strongly prefer their own state residents. That leave you with BU, Tufts, Emory, Baylor and Drexel. Emory is a reach due to your GPA. Your September MCAT is late since your score will not be available until late October. At that point the interview season is 1/3 over for most schools. You could submit your AMCAS application this month and study hard for the MCAT. With your GPA I would recommend ( in addition to University of Vermont ) BU, Tufts, Quinnipiac, Hofstra, New York Medical College, Albany,
Drexel, Jefferson, Temple, Commonwealth (PA), GW, Oakland Beaumont, Western Michigan, Rosalind Franklin, Loyola, St.Louis, Tulane.

Don't apply this cycle. You won't get your score till October and by that time more than half of the available interviews will be gone.

Apply with VT residency if possible, if will give you a huge boost for U Vermont.

Do you have any other ECs besides the marines and working as a chemist? (Shadowing/community service/research/non combat clinical experience)

I'd suggest applying early next cycle to at least 20 schools depending on your MCAT (if you score higher you can apply to less schools).

Some vet friendly places: UCF, USF, Tulane, VCU, RFU, Wisconsin, Colorado, ETSU.

Thanks for the advice! Unfortunately I will not apply to matriculate in 2016. I am 27 now and do not want to begin med school when I am 30, so this round is my shot at it.

As far as ECs: I did volunteer work with Wounded Warriors and Red Cross, and have about 500 hours of clinical time in a hospital setting through the military, including training others. Not all of what I did was combat related.

Thank you for the school suggestions, I will certainly look into all of the ones you have listed.

OP, some FL schools aren't super friendly for OOS. I would check in on that if I were you.
Your EC's are amazing, your story is extraordinary to say the least. Thank you so much for serving this country and protecting my freedom to become a doctor.
If you can get that MCAT score back and apply next cycle, somewhere will take you definitely.

Thanks for the words of encouragement, and I appreciate it. I'll kill the MCAT and apply, we'll see what happens. I'm hoping the stellar LORs from the Professors that gave the less than ideal grades can compensate. If I didn't have that one semester on my record i'd have left with around a 3.8.

Reactions: 1 user