MD & DO 3.3cGPA, 35 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IlyaR

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, my AMCAS sGPA is 3.0, while my ACOMAS is around a 3.47.

I am thinking of applying to NYCOM and PCOM for 2015, as well as BU/Tufts/Drexel/NYMC SMPs for 2014 fall, as insurance.

I have 2 years of clinical experience, good LORs from both MDs and DOs, and am currently working on shadowing experience/hospital volunteering.

Should I throw in any schools?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey, I'm just applying as insurance basically. I have a year off before 2015 fall DO matriculation anyway, and if I don't get in anywhere, then I would have an SMP GPA under my belt for 2016 applications, and might be competitive for MD as well

edit: The SMP isn't for DO btw, I think I have a shot without it. It would potentially be for 2016 MD.

I am not set on MD, and don't mind DO at all

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, I'm just applying as insurance basically. I have a year off before 2015 fall DO matriculation anyway, and if I don't get in anywhere, then I would have an SMP GPA under my belt for 2016 applications, and might be competitive for MD as well

edit: The SMP isn't for DO btw, I think I have a shot without it. It would potentially be for 2016 MD.

IlyaR, with the new unified ACGME and AOA it might not matter whether you do DO or MD for residency at least.
http://www.osteopathic.org/inside-a...e-medical-education-accreditation-system.aspx

Reactions: 1 user

I am definitely no expert but yeah you probably have a decent shot at plenty of MD schools without an SMP. There are many schools out there with averages of 30-32 mcat, so you having a score WELL above that (percentile-wise) seems like it would make up for a slightly lower GPA or sGPA. Hopefully my reasoning is correct because that's the reasoning i'm using when applying to DO schools myself ;) hoping my MCAT will make up for my lower GPA. Good luck in deciding what is best for you!!

Reactions: 1 user
I am definitely no expert but yeah you probably have a decent shot at plenty of MD schools without an SMP. There are many schools out there with averages of 30-32 mcat, so you having a score WELL above that (percentile-wise) seems like it would make up for a slightly lower GPA or sGPA. Hopefully my reasoning is correct because that's the reasoning i'm using when applying to DO schools myself ;) hoping my MCAT will make up for my lower GPA. Good luck in deciding what is best for you!!
I hope you're right! I am being realistic however, my science GPA is a real problem

MD is possible, but chances not so great- EC's seem kind of pedestrian and the sci GPA is circling the drain. You are competitive for pretty much any DO school except maybe CCOM.

MD is possible, but chances not so great- EC's seem kind of pedestrian and the sci GPA is circling the drain. You are competitive for pretty much any DO school except maybe CCOM.
Thank you, would you recommend any allopathic schools?

DO you have an upward trend in your GPA? That could also be a factor. I was also thinking the same thing, applying for DO only since I won't be able to apply early to MD schools due to finances and I feel I'm competitive for DO even if I apply a little bit later. Why only 2 DO schools? I was planning to do: PCOM, NYCOM, NSUCOM, CCOM, DMCOM, and 1 or 2 others. As for SMPs, I'm prob gonna do 6-7 apps for that.
I would think you are a bit competitive for some MD schools with that 35, provided you have some good ECs. It wouldn't hurt to apply to some MDs since 3.3 isn't really all that bad and the percentage of 3.3/35 is kind of decent, basing it off the what i've seen posted.

DO you have an upward trend in your GPA? That could also be a factor. I was also thinking the same thing, applying for DO only since I won't be able to apply early to MD schools due to finances and I feel I'm competitive for DO even if I apply a little bit later. Why only 2 DO schools? I was planning to do: PCOM, NYCOM, NSUCOM, CCOM, DMCOM, and 1 or 2 others. As for SMPs, I'm prob gonna do 6-7 apps for that.
I would think you are a bit competitive for some MD schools with that 35, provided you have some good ECs. It wouldn't hurt to apply to some MDs since 3.3 isn't really all that bad and the percentage of 3.3/35 is kind of decent, basing it off the what i've seen posted.
Significant upward trend. I'm worried about my sGPA however. cGPA sucks, but I can work with it. my sGPA is low though, I recalculated it today and it falls under 3.0 with AMCAS.

AMCAS/ACOMAS GPA is hugely different for me. Only thought about NYCOM/PCOM because I'd really prefer to stay in the NY Tristate, but I most likely will apply broadly