MD 3.3s 3.4c 35MCAT Top 10 UG + TX-Res + ORM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

invisibleman023

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Enrolling in SMP this fall too to increase GPA.

Pretty standard ECs:

-Engineering major
- 3 research publications
-Volunteering experience domestic and international
-Shadowing experience domestic and international
-Leadership in several clubs

Applied to all texas schools + schools in my UG institution state + Tulane, Emory, VCU, Vtech, GW, Georgetown, NYMC, Albany, Jefferson, Drexel, Temple, Oakland, Quinnipiac.

Thoughts? I feel like Texas residency will prevent out of state interviews so Im just hoping i can bank on the In-state thing.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Top 10 UG + engineering major will likely help your GPA. I think you have a good shot for the TX schools.

Any specifics on texas schools? UTSA? Lubbock? El Paso?. My dream school is UT-Houston.

All of them.

What does that mean? As in I have a good shot at them? I will get into them?

I just really wanna go to school in Texas but applied broadly because I was afraid of having to take another year off. Do you feel like my SMP will help?? I am confident I can do well in it and was hoping the Texas schools would see that improvement.

What does that mean? As in I have a good shot at them? I will get into them?

I just really wanna go to school in Texas but applied broadly because I was afraid of having to take another year off. Do you feel like my SMP will help?? I am confident I can do well in it and was hoping the Texas schools would see that improvement.
Unless you have a real problem interviewing, you should be fine if you applied to all your IS schools.

Also, I think its important that I mention the TMDSAS grading really screwed me by taking away my B+'s....I ended up with the same cumulative but my science GPA went down to 3.1.....

Will still be able to attend an IS MD school with that kind of science GPA?

Thanks gyngyn for your input/help!

Anybody else with some thoughts on my chances? Especially pertaining to specific Texas med schools? Foster, lubbock, UTSA?

Members don't see this ad :)
just listen to to the advice given... @gyngyn knows a thing or two about admissions

So I guess I got the message...I'll be fine for Texas.

So @gyngyn do you think its worth it for me to even go to an SMP this gap year? I'm starting to second guess it but I felt that it was the weakest part of my app so showing medical schools and updating them that I could handle real upper level foundational science work would help. I was just under the impression that gap year = work on weakest part of your app. Do you agree? Good idea going to SMP?

So I guess I got the message...I'll be fine for Texas.

So @gyngyn do you think its worth it for me to even go to an SMP this gap year? I'm starting to second guess it but I felt that it was the weakest part of my app so showing medical schools and updating them that I could handle real upper level foundational science work would help. I was just under the impression that gap year = work on weakest part of your app. Do you agree? Good idea going to SMP?
If you can interview at all, I believe you have a good shot in TX (even without the SMP). However, if you are unsuccessful, the SMP would put you that much closer to a successful re-application. With the re-calculation of your gpa this is too close for me to call. You have to decide how much you need to hedge your bet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
I agree to not apply OOS unless you like wasting money and writing secondaries. I learned this the hard way in my cycle.

3.3/3.3/30 with extensive healthcare experience = accepted to TCOM and an out of state DO but withdrew my application in lots of places prior to interviews and such due to personal reasons. Did have only 1 MD interview invite in Texas though.

Your mcat is higher than mine so you maybe more successful. Good luck to you. I'm super happy I'm at TCOM and feel like it was meant to be.

If you can interview at all, I believe you have a good shot in TX (even without the SMP). However, if you are unsuccessful, the SMP would put you that much closer to a successful re-application. With the re-calculation of your gpa this is too close for me to call. You have to decide how much you need to hedge your bet.

Hello gyngyn, so just replying to this thread to update my status. Thus far, I have only received a II for San Antonio. Due to the nature of the Texas cycle (with interviews ending in Dec/Jan and match results in February, do you feel like I should send an update to Texas schools about my grades? I have a 4.0 mid-semester in this SMP and a "publication pending" on my app is now published. I was okay with waiting for the end of 1st semester grades for out of state schools but it will almost definitely be too late for Texas schools (Dec 15th).

Anyone else with advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Hello gyngyn, so just replying to this thread to update my status. Thus far, I have only received a II for San Antonio. Due to the nature of the Texas cycle (with interviews ending in Dec/Jan and match results in February, do you feel like I should send an update to Texas schools about my grades? I have a 4.0 mid-semester in this SMP and a "publication pending" on my app is now published. I was okay with waiting for the end of 1st semester grades for out of state schools but it will almost definitely be too late for Texas schools (Dec 15th).

Anyone else with advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
If they accept them.
I wish you well at San Antonio!

I am a CA ORM with a 3.6 cGPA, 3.3 sGPA, 33 MCAT, and I got into my dream MD school. My major was a "soft" humanities major, and my application had a few red flags.

You'll be fine, and personally, I would not do the SMP.

I also went to a top 10 undergrad (maybe even the same school as you) that has a top engineering school. My engineer peers have no problems getting into medical schools with sub 3.5 GPAs. Your MCAT, rigorous major, impressive research, solid ECs, and undergraduate reputation will help you.

Update: got rejected across the board except for a few pre-interview holds still at MD schools (aka most likely rejected despite sending updates). I got into TCOM as expected.

Part of me thinks I should've applied to more OOS private schools. While Texas is a great state to be a resident from, its ridiculously skewed towards the high GPA + low MCAT candidates. While my 69 LizzyM may seem okay, it just can't make up for a low GPA despite the fact that I went to a top ten school and majored in engineering.

WARNING TO ALL HIGH SCHOOL+ FUTURE PREMEDS: go to your state school and major in psychology. This is a game, no one will reward you for not playing it.

sigh.

Update: got rejected across the board except for a few pre-interview holds still at MD schools (aka most likely rejected despite sending updates). I got into TCOM as expected.

Part of me thinks I should've applied to more OOS private schools. While Texas is a great state to be a resident from, its ridiculously skewed towards the high GPA + low MCAT candidates. While my 69 LizzyM may seem okay, it just can't make up for a low GPA despite the fact that I went to a top ten school and majored in engineering.

WARNING TO ALL HIGH SCHOOL+ FUTURE PREMEDS: go to your state school and major in psychology. This is a game, no one will reward you for not playing it.

sigh.

I am not sure why you are disappointed with getting accepted at TCOM, it has an excellent reputation. You are going to be a doctor, why does it matter what the initials are after your name?

As far as interviews, that might have been why you didn't get accepted at the allo schools, usually if it was your stats they wouldn't invite you to interview.

sigh.
Thanks for giving us the update.
I can tell you that my colleagues at UTSW have a great deal of respect for TCOM and its grads.

sigh.

I'm really sorry to hear this, invisibleman023. :(

I'm really sorry to hear this, invisibleman023. :(

In the end, I know I'm the only one to blame in this. No one made me go to a top school or forced me to do an engineering major. This is what I deserve and if that means fighting an uphill battle for the rest of my career then so be it. Hopefully going to a DO school will make me appreciate other things in life instead of just my career. I think I will eventually come to appreciate this at some point.