3.4 cgpa 3.1 sgpa no mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDreamer11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I just need some solid advice about what scores I should aim for on the MCAT with my stats. I started off with a 2.4 average in my freshman year and it has been rising steadily over the next three years (for both cgpa and sgpa). I am fine with either DO or MD. I am a Georgia resident

MD Stats:

3.4 cgpa 3.1 sgpa

DO Stats:

3.55 cgpa 3.5 sgpa

I have solid ecs. I had posted a list of my ECs on another thread. Please feel free to examine it.

Schools I am aiming for:

PCOM (GA)
LECOM
MCG
Mercer
University of South Carolina
Medical University of South Carolina

I have not made my complete list yet but I hope to apply to schools that resides around the borders of Georgia.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

if you're in state in Georgia, you're lucky because the MD programs may be forgiving of that low sGPA if you manage a strong MCAT. It seems DO school is a good backup plan. Definitely wouldn't discount MD.

Hi my cgpa and sgpa are in the same boat as this guy. However my upward trend is not the same I went from a 3.3 freshman 1st quarter to 3.62 to a 3.76 with an overall of 3.57. Now sophomore 1st quarter I received a 3.2 total and now have a 3.4 ish cgpa and 3.16 sgpa. What hurt me most is a C in Ochem, are my chances pretty much shot?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone. I just need some solid advice about what scores I should aim for on the MCAT with my stats. I started off with a 2.4 average in my freshman year and it has been rising steadily over the next three years (for both cgpa and sgpa). I am fine with either DO or MD. I am a Georgia resident

MD Stats:

3.4 cgpa 3.1 sgpa

DO Stats:

3.55 cgpa 3.5 sgpa

I have solid ecs. I had posted a list of my ECs on another thread. Please feel free to examine it.

Schools I am aiming for:

PCOM (GA)
LECOM
MCG
Mercer
University of South Carolina
Medical University of South Carolina

I have not made my complete list yet but I hope to apply to schools that resides around the borders of Georgia.

Thank you!
With an AACOMAS GPA of 3.55, an MCAT score of 25-26+ would be a good goal. A higher score makes it more likely you'll get into a more selective program.

For MD programs, I'd suggest in general you'd need to aim for a 32-33+, and I'll also suggest that it would be helpful to get some As in science this last term before you apply so as to show an continued upward grade trend. If your grades have been consistently very good since the bad freshman year, you might get an acceptance with a somewhat lower score as some schools weight freshman grades less. Definitely don't count out MD schools.

Hi my cgpa and sgpa are in the same boat as this guy. However my upward trend is not the same I went from a 3.3 freshman 1st quarter to 3.62 to a 3.76 with an overall of 3.57. Now sophomore 1st quarter I received a 3.2 total and now have a 3.4 ish cgpa and 3.16 sgpa. What hurt me most is a C in Ochem, are my chances pretty much shot?
avokadoduck, I responded to you on your original thread.

Hey everyone I have another concern. I will be out of the states the whole month of June and I know AMCAS applications start in the beginning of June. My question is, how will it affect my application for my in-state schools if I started applying in July? I can start on my applications while abroad, but the problem is we have no internet set up over there and this trip cannot be postpone either. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

Hey everyone I have another concern. I will be out of the states the whole month of June and I know AMCAS applications start in the beginning of June. My question is, how will it affect my application for my in-state schools if I started applying in July? I can start on my applications while abroad, but the problem is we have no internet set up over there and this trip cannot be postpone either. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

They don't have internet access where you're going at all? No internet cafes? No cell-based coverage?

The AMCAS opens up for you to start inputting data in early May usually. You can complete filling out the application and be "complete" with your data entry and then just have someone you trust (a lot) log on while you're away and hit the submit button on June 1st. It will definitely help you get verified faster and your app in the hands of committees earlier.

MDreamer11-

I have similar stats to yours. 3.5 cgpa and 3.1 sgpa. I scored a 35 on the mcat and have gotten several interviews this year as well as an acceptance so you are def. not out of it if you score low to mid 30s on the mcat. You also need to have lots of volunteer and clinic experience to help your app. I was a reapplicant this year and recieved 4 interviews last year and so far 4 interviews this year and got my app in fairly late both years. (primary in october last year, sept this year) so applying in July shouldn't severly hinder your chances if you really do have good ECs. My advice would be to apply broadly to MD schools and throw in some DO.. don't be afraid to apply to 15+ schools if you can afford it.

avokadoduck-

Same advice as above. Also, I had Cs in physics and 2 other Cs on my transcript so don't count yourself out of getting in to decent schools because of one C. Make up for it on the MCAT and show a good upward trend in your more advanced courses junior and senior year.

They don't have internet access where you're going at all? No internet cafes? No cell-based coverage?

The AMCAS opens up for you to start inputting data in early May usually. You can complete filling out the application and be "complete" with your data entry and then just have someone you trust (a lot) log on while you're away and hit the submit button on June 1st. It will definitely help you get verified faster and your app in the hands of committees earlier.

Sorry! I meant to say that where we will be staying will not have any internet access. There are local coffee shops with free wifi which I will definitely put to good use thanks to your information :) I will be sure to fill out the application and send it in myself on June 1st. Thanks for the clarification! Now I am not as worry.

It is towards the end of my final semester, and I see that my cgpa is hovering around a 3.3 and my sgpa around a 2.9. I had stretched myself out too thin this semester by taking 22 hours of science classes in order to graduate on time so my sGPA took the hit. I am planning to take the MCAT in August and also trying to take some science classes during the Fall at Augusta State to bring up my sGPA. My question is, if I apply this cycle for MD and DO and submit by December, where will my application stand for both? I understand that applying to MD this late in the cycle will not benefit me so I will be applying for MD next summer if I do not get into any DO schools this cycle. My main goal is to get into any Georgia medical schools. I had also talked to Dr. Langford last week regarding my current situation. He recommended me to take some classes at ASU to raise up my sGPA. He also stated that a cGPA of 3.3 is fine for any Georgia schools. He also recommended me to take hard science classes and get Bs on them rather than taking easy science classes and get As. My problem is, all of my science classes had been Bs, which explained why I have a low sGPA. So my final question is, should I still be aiming for a MCAT of 32+ for MD and a 25+ for DO with my most recent update? Please review over my situation and provide some helpful feedback. Thank you guys!

I think that the chances for MD are seriously imperiled by the downward grade trend and BCPM so low. Without another year of GPA repair and some serious As in science, I'm not sure that a strong MCAT score can bail out your application.

For DO, an advantage is that earning grades and sending in a transcript to AACOMAS after submission will update all the schools on your new grades. I'd suggest that aiming for As in difficult science classes would be your goal, but if you can't do that, I'd aim for As in easier science to raise the sGPA. JMO.

Submitting in December seriously decreases your chances as many, many interview invitations will already have been given out.

If your AACOMAS GPA is 3.4 now, aim for a 26+ on the MCAT. If it's 3.3, aim for a 27+.

It is towards the end of my final semester, and I see that my cgpa is hovering around a 3.3 and my sgpa around a 2.9. I had stretched myself out too thin this semester by taking 22 hours of science classes in order to graduate on time so my sGPA took the hit. I am planning to take the MCAT in August and also trying to take some science classes during the Fall at Augusta State to bring up my sGPA. My question is, if I apply this cycle for MD and DO and submit by December, where will my application stand for both? I understand that applying to MD this late in the cycle will not benefit me so I will be applying for MD next summer if I do not get into any DO schools this cycle. My main goal is to get into any Georgia medical schools. I had also talked to Dr. Langford last week regarding my current situation. He recommended me to take some classes at ASU to raise up my sGPA. He also stated that a cGPA of 3.3 is fine for any Georgia schools. He also recommended me to take hard science classes and get Bs on them rather than taking easy science classes and get As. My problem is, all of my science classes had been Bs, which explained why I have a low sGPA. So my final question is, should I still be aiming for a MCAT of 32+ for MD and a 25+ for DO with my most recent update? Please review over my situation and provide some helpful feedback. Thank you guys!
I would personally not bother applying to any MD colleges with an sGPA below 3.0. If your cGPA/sGPA for AACOMAS is 3.4/3.4, I think you can manage to get some acceptances with a 27+ MCAT.