MD 3.4 cGPA 3.16sGPA chances? gap year advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

californiadreamin'

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Doing well in an SMP is the single best thing you can do to improve your odds. A good SMP showing and you can go from a mediocre MD candidate to a strong one fast

Don't retake the MCAT. Don't plan on being a reapplicant. If you choose to do the DIY post bacc route a) don't apply till you have finished it and raised your gpa as much as you can b) realize it still might not be enough for a CA resident. 3.3 sgpa 32 mcat equivalent for a CA resident are still stats on the low end for a CA applicant even if you do the DIY route

Hence why a well established and strong SMP would be my first recommendation if MD is the end goal.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't retake the MCAT, fix your sGPA. Honestly you are going to have to consider DO schools with that sGPA most likely. Like Grapes said if you are really wanting the MD you will need an SMP

Thanks for all of your feedback. I'm going to cancel the retake and look into adding DO schools for this application cycle.

Thanks for all of your feedback. I'm going to cancel the retake and look into adding DO schools for this application cycle.
Apply to lower tier MD schools 25-45 rank... Also, include some competitive osteopathic medicinal schools. Best of luck.