3.4 cgpa, 3.3 sgpa, 27 MCAT, chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

supagray

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Right now I have a 3.4 cgpa, 3.3 sgpa, and 27 MCAT. I went to a major state school and majored in human biology. I have 900+ hours of research (both quant and qualit projects - pub pending), 800+ hrs clinical experience (working in clinics, special needs children), 225 hrs shadowing (will be shadowing a DO before applying), president of pre-med club/diversity club/health related club president/eagle scout, lots of random various volunteering events, speak French/learning Spanish, 4 mission trips (1 wk each, non-medical, 3 in US, 1 outside of US), excellent LOR's/school review committee recommendation.

NON-URM, although I am from a rural/medically under-served background

I was wondering what you guys though my chances at DO programs were? I am a NC resident and have pretty much ruled out MD except for ECU, Temple, Drexel, GTown and other kind of more "whole person"/lower stat MD programs.

Thanks guys! Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

you should get plenty of interviews. make sure to get a DO LOR though. MD is very unlikely, except maybe your state school.

Right, your biggest thing would be to secure a DO lor.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the quick reply guys! I will be setting up a shadowing opportunity with a DO PCP on Monday and hopefully she will be able to write me a letter after some shadowing.

Thanks guys!

Would not having a DO LOR negatively lower chances for admission? I don't think I will be able to get one, living in Canada without a car and all...

Would not having a DO LOR negatively lower chances for admission? I don't think I will be able to get one, living in Canada without a car and all...

No, plenty of my undergrad friends here in the US didnt have DO LORS and got many acceptances when they applied to back up MD. Only 1 or 2 schools absolutely require it. Otherwise its just bonus.

Are there DO schools in Canada? Why all the sudden so many Canadians on this forum :S If there aren't any DOs there, then obviously you dont need an LOR. There are states too here that don't have many DOs, so people arent expected to get them if its hard to find shadowing.

MD letter is fine!

Hi guys,

Right now I have a 3.4 cgpa, 3.3 sgpa, and 27 MCAT. I went to a major state school and majored in human biology. I have 900+ hours of research (both quant and qualit projects - pub pending), 800+ hrs clinical experience (working in clinics, special needs children), 225 hrs shadowing (will be shadowing a DO before applying), president of pre-med club/diversity club/health related club president/eagle scout, lots of random various volunteering events, speak French/learning Spanish, 4 mission trips (1 wk each, non-medical, 3 in US, 1 outside of US), excellent LOR's/school review committee recommendation.

I was wondering what you guys though my chances at DO programs were? I am a NC resident and have pretty much ruled out MD except for ECU, Temple, Drexel, GTown and other kind of more "whole person"/lower stat MD programs.

Hey everyone is on the money so far. MCAT of 27 with a GPA of 3.3-3.4 should get you more than a few interviews. They are right about getting a DO LOR. Apply broadly to DO schools such as Campbell, VCOM Carolina, LMU-DCOM, PCOM (Georgia) and others. I am telling you by experience, my GPA is same as yours but MCAT was way low. I got some II's and couple of acceptances. When you are ready to write your personal statement, make sure you include the real important things in a logical way and how they relate to Osteopathic medicine. Discuss how primary care means to you and is a major reason you are applying to Osteopathic Medical School. I applied to 18 schools and got 4 interviews. Went to 3 and refused one. Good luck.

You should be fine!! There are a few schools out there that will accept MD as well, but most require a DO letter. Also add VCOM-Virginia to your list :)

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone is on the money so far. MCAT of 27 with a GPA of 3.3-3.4 should get you more than a few interviews. They are right about getting a DO LOR. Apply broadly to DO schools such as Campbell, VCOM Carolina, LMU-DCOM, PCOM (Georgia) and others. I am telling you by experience, my GPA is same as yours but MCAT was way low. I got some II's and couple of acceptances. When you are ready to write your personal statement, make sure you include the real important things in a logical way and how they relate to Osteopathic medicine. Discuss how primary care means to you and is a major reason you are applying to Osteopathic Medical School. I applied to 18 schools and got 4 interviews. Went to 3 and refused one. Good luck.

Out of curiosity what was your MCAT? I also have similar states (3.48/3.35) so interested to hear since I still haven't gotten MCAT scores yet!

Out of curiosity what was your MCAT? I also have similar states (3.48/3.35) so interested to hear since I still haven't gotten MCAT scores yet!

Just keep it a secret and don't tell a lot of people LOL (22).

Just keep it a secret and don't tell a lot of people LOL (22).

See that just gives me hope since my practice scores haven't been great.. I've been working full time and it's SO hard to study with long 12-14 hour shifts. Congrats on your acceptance!!! :)

The only schools that absolutely require a DO letter are LECOM, LUCOM, OSU-COM, VCOM, and WVSOM. The rest will happily take a MD letter or don't require a physicians letter at all. I made an excel sheet a couple months ago breaking down all the letter requirements, so it is possible some schools may have changed in that time.

See that just gives me hope since my practice scores haven't been great.. I've been working full time and it's SO hard to study with long 12-14 hour shifts. Congrats on your acceptance!!! :)

Yes Sir/Ma'am. Just don't give up. If your score is 22 or above (hopefully a lot above) just apply. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The only schools that absolutely require a DO letter are LECOM, LUCOM, OSU-COM, VCOM, and WVSOM. The rest will happily take a MD letter or don't require a physicians letter at all. I made an excel sheet a couple months ago breaking down all the letter requirements, so it is possible some schools may have changed in that time.

I might be wrong, but all the schools I applied to required a DO letter.

Yes Sir/Ma'am. Just don't give up. If your score is 22 or above (hopefully a lot above) just apply. Good luck.

Crossing my fingers it'll be a lot above... we'll see June 1st haha. Thanks :) :)

But yeah OP I think with your total package if you can rock the interviews you will totally get in. I know VCOM at least loves people from rural backgrounds so definitely check it out.

Crossing my fingers it'll be a lot above... we'll see June 1st haha. Thanks :) :)

But yeah OP I think with your total package if you can rock the interviews you will totally get in. I know VCOM at least loves people from rural backgrounds so definitely check it out.

You are right interview is a big part. One needs to be confident and true to themselves. It always works and works everywhere.

I might be wrong, but all the schools I applied to required a DO letter.

I know 100% that PCOM requires either 1) a pre-health committee letter or 2) three faculty letters, two of which must be science professors. I can't seem to find Campbell's requirement on their website, which means I probably got the info from the medical college handbook, meaning you could very well be right as sometimes the stuff in there is outdated.

I know 100% that PCOM requires either 1) a pre-health committee letter or 2) three faculty letters, two of which must be science professors. I can't seem to find Campbell's requirement on their website, which means I probably got the info from the medical college handbook, meaning you could very well be right as sometimes the stuff in there is outdated.

And just to give you the sure info, I called every school I applied to and asked them what kinda letters were they looking for. Was I a nag for them, yea, but I wanted to make sure I don't mess up my applications. How smart would you look if you can't even turn in an applications by providing the required documents.

And just to give you the sure info, I called every school I applied to and asked them what kinda letters were they looking for. Was I a nag for them, yea, but I wanted to make sure I don't mess up my applications. How smart would you look if you can't even turn in an applications by providing the required documents.

Fair enough. I'm just going by PCOM's admissions site and college info book published by AACOM. I know DO letters are pretty much universally strongly recommended, but hopefully PCOM honors the requirements they've posted because that would suck for me, lol. Oh well.

Did you really just set the app bar for at a 22? Let be frank here, for every 22 that gets accepted on here probably over 20 get rejected.

Encourage people to have a strong application. Not to have false hope.

Did you really just set the app bar for at a 22? Let be frank here, for every 22 that gets accepted on here probably over 20 get rejected.

:rolleyes:

he is just encouraging them to still try applying even if their MCAT comes back lower

I think you have a good chance, your stats are really similar to mine. Good luck!

:rolleyes:

he is just encouraging them to still try applying even if their MCAT comes back lower

Not with a 22... That's throwing money to the wind that you can spend on an Mcat course or etc.

Apply early is all I can say. :)

I agree..its better to apply with a strong app. I honestly hope that there are stronger applicants this year just so the newer DO schools can finally raise their acceptance stats.

you do not need DO lor for vcom (either camp) to get an interview. They will provide you a DO LOR during the interview if you do not have one. It's on the CIB and I talked to a rep from vcom.

Reactions: 1 users
Not with a 22... That's throwing money to the wind that you can spend on an Mcat course or etc.
I agree..its better to apply with a strong app. I honestly hope that there are stronger applicants this year just so the newer DO schools can finally raise their acceptance stats.
Ok I might be a little biased because that person with the 21 who got into MSUCOM is still fresh on my mind. Even I never expected that

Ok I might be a little biased because that person with the 21 who got into MSUCOM is still fresh on my mind. Even I never expected that

Once in a blue moon is not good for a n >1. And honestly it's kind of the school but he scored a 12,21 idk if he will pass his boards.

I think you understood me wrong. I am not trying to give people false hope. In my wildest dreams I wouldn't advice anyone to do what I did. I gambled big time and won. If you read my response carefully, I suggested that hopefully that MCAT scores are way better than mine. I happened to be a one of the few examples that got in with a low score. What was going for me is a very good application. I have a BS in biology and a BS in nursing with 3 years of nursing experience and tons of ECs. All of my interviews went great and I was thrilled after each one of them. So to sum it up, I said God forbid if you get a score that's less than desiring, don't give up. Make yourself a great candidate and hope for the best.

I think you understood me wrong. I am not trying to give people false hope. In my wildest dreams I wouldn't advice anyone to do what I did. I gambled big time and won. If you read my response carefully, I suggested that hopefully that MCAT scores are way better than mine. I happened to be a one of the few examples that got in with a low score. What was going for me is a very good application. I have a BS in biology and a BS in nursing with 3 years of nursing experience and tons of ECs. All of my interviews went great and I was thrilled after each one of them. So to sum it up, I said God forbid if you get a score that's less than desiring, don't give up. Make yourself a great candidate and hope for the best.

Very true.

This is a very very rare and isolated situation. There are many people who have better stats and great ECs who were rejected or waitlisted. I really hope that person had some very special life story that made him stand out.

Once in a blue moon is not good for a n >1. And honestly it's kind of the school but he scored a 12,21 idk if he will pass his boards.

I agree. Med school is all about testing and boards so if these people are bad test takers then its going to be a huge problem. I always wonder if they are extra worried about taking the boards.

Skip the MD schools and go for any DO program.

Hi guys,

This is a very very rare and isolated situation. There are many people who have better stats and great ECs who were rejected or waitlisted. I really hope that person had some very special life story that made him stand out.

I agree. Med school is all about testing and boards so if these people are bad test takers then its going to be a huge problem. I always wonder if they are extra worried about taking the boards.

I think many people truly hold the belief that once they get in, that's it and things are good.
I think that mindset has obvious issues and repercussions.

you do not need DO lor for vcom (either camp) to get an interview. They will provide you a DO LOR during the interview if you do not have one. It's on the CIB and I talked to a rep from vcom.

Thank you!! I had heard this rumor about VCOM and couldn't seem to find it anywhere on their site. I'll be adding them to my list. Thanks for letting me know.

Thank you!! I had heard this rumor about VCOM and couldn't seem to find it anywhere on their site. I'll be adding them to my list. Thanks for letting me know.

Right, this is true.