3.4 cGPA, 3.3sGPA 34 MCAT, Michigan schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ThaTruth

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I just graduated from U of Michigan with a 3.42/3.30 and scored a 34 on the MCAT. I was originally planning on going to pharmacy school ever since high school but realized last fall that I didn't want to spend the rest of my life doing that so here I am. My main problem is my low GPA, first year of college I joined a fraternity and only cared about meeting new people/drinking and I didn't give a **** about class. Since then I have only been improving and my senior year I took 18 credits each semester and got a 4.0 both terms
Heres my GPA by semester
1st - 3.0
2nd - 2.9
3rd - 3.18
4th - 3.24
5 - 3.31
6 - 3.27
7 - 4.0
8 - 4.0

For ECs, I was president of my fraternity for one year. Im also in a few campus clubs and did research in the med school for 2 semesters. I have shadowed docs for ~50 hours total. I have about 50 hours volunteering at a food shelter and probably 100 hours volunteering with the red cross. Seems like I don't have crap for ECs compared to people on this site but I had enough to be accepted into pharmacy school. Also summers I have worked construction for 60+ hours per week so I really have no time to add anything else.
I have 3 good (I hope!) letters from professors and one from a MSUCOM doc who I shadowed for about 20 hours

I was wondering what my shot would be for the med schools in michigan and elsewhere. I know I have 0 shot at UofM, but what about MSUCOM or wayne state? Im definitely open to leaving the state if anyone has suggestions for what schools to apply to

Also, im kind of confused about the application progress. I realize the odds are against me this year, so Im probably going to have to do more coursework. I have got into Wayne State BMS and LECOM post-bacc for the fall. I really want to go to wayne state but it seems like it would take me possibly 2 years to get in their med program (you need 20 graduate credits to apply). For lecom, all I would need is a 3.0 next school year and I would be guaranteed a spot the following fall.

What would you guys do if you were in my shoes? I apologize for my long post but I feel so lost in this process haha

Members don't see this ad.

You should be fine. Look up the acceptance rates for a 3.4/34, most people in that bucket (~60%) get accepted somewhere.
How to make sure you end up in the happy 60%: Apply to all the Michigan schools. There are also a number of private schools in Chicago with lower stats for their entering class, like Rosalind Franklin. Get the MSAR and find about 15 private out of state schools with low stats. Put together your application starting today and submit it no later than mid-June.
If I were you I'd go to Wayne State's Post-Bacc this fall instead of LECOM's, but that's just because I think you'll get in somewhere this cycle without any problems and you should celebrate with a Red Wings game at the Joe :)