3.4 cGPA, 3.42 sGPA, 38 MCAT / strong research - where to apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

taylorswift

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a 3.4 cGPA, 3.42 sGPA, and 38 MCAT, with a strong research background (2+ years, currently also in a lab and will be published soon), and completed my undergrad at a top-tier university. I will be applying to medical school as early as possible in the next round. Has anyone gotten an interview/acceptance from top-tier medical schools with these stats? (I am not URM.)

Members don't see this ad.

I have a 3.4 cGPA, 3.42 sGPA, and 38 MCAT, with a strong research background (2+ years, currently also in a lab and will be published soon), and completed my undergrad at a top-tier university. I will be applying to medical school as early as possible in the next round. Has anyone gotten an interview/acceptance from top-tier medical schools with these stats? (I am not URM.)

Publications?

Clinical?

Service?

Leadership?

You're going to need a strong background in all of these for "top-tier" schools.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with ChemEngMD. You will need to have a solid, well-rounded application, especially with that low GPA. Keep in mind that top-tier schools receive applications from many people with high MCAT, high GPA, tons of productive research, etc.

Assuming you have good clinical experience/volunteering, I think you could apply to some top-tier schools and hope for the best, but also apply to some 'mid-tier' (I don't really like these classifications) schools as well. With a 3.4, you'll need to apply broadly to really maximize your chances. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Publications?

Clinical?

Service?

Leadership?

You're going to need a strong background in all of these for "top-tier" schools.

Publications -- I'm listed as an author on two publications (third author, second author), both of which are in major journals.

Clinical -- shadowed in an ICU for 5-8 hours per week for a year; same for an ER; also shadowed my older brother in his primary care practice extensively throughout undergrad. Currently volunteer at a local hospital four hours per week.

Service & Leadership -- President of an academic/community service honorary at my college for one year, during which i partnered with a local organization to provide healthy food, gym facilities, and nutrition education to underserved youth and teens. Years of volunteering at VA Hospitals, nursing homes, and homeless shelters since I was a child.

I'm also a concert pianist, lived with my grandparents, speak Arabic, traveled the world by myself.

ALL OF THIS BETTER MAKE UP FOR A LOW GPA lol

I agree with ChemEngMD. You will need to have a solid, well-rounded application, especially with that low GPA. Keep in mind that top-tier schools receive applications from many people with high MCAT, high GPA, tons of productive research, etc.

Assuming you have good clinical experience/volunteering, I think you could apply to some top-tier schools and hope for the best, but also apply to some 'mid-tier' (I don't really like these classifications) schools as well. With a 3.4, you'll need to apply broadly to really maximize your chances. Good luck.

thank you :)

I got into UW with similar stats but I'm in-state

It's well documented on here that people from elite schools with a 3.4 GPA can get in somewhere. Maybe not top-tier, but no harm in applying I guess?

How much of a top tier university are we talking about? Ivy? Top 20?