3.4 GPA, 29 MCAT, engineer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hokie2007

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an engineering undergrad degree with a 3.4 GPA, a biotechnology masters from Penn with a 3.4 GPA (while working a full time job ~55hr/week). MCAT 29 (11BS 9VR 9PS). Four years of pharmaceutical industry experience
I'm an NJ resident and really hoping for an MD acceptance, particularly UMDNJ or RWJ.
What are my chances?
Retake the MCAT? My average practice test scores were right around a 29 (but recently my verbal score have surged from 7 to 9, so there's hopes of a 31).

Members don't see this ad.

I have an engineering undergrad degree with a 3.4 GPA, a biotechnology masters from Penn with a 3.4 GPA (while working a full time job ~55hr/week). MCAT 29 (11BS 9VR 9PS). Four years of pharmaceutical industry experience
I'm an NJ resident and really hoping for an MD acceptance, particularly UMDNJ or RWJ.
What are my chances?
Retake the MCAT? My average practice test scores were right around a 29 (but recently my verbal score have surged from 7 to 9, so there's hopes of a 31).
Per AAMC "All Applicant" stats, those with a 3.39 undergrad cGPA, an MCAT of 29 gives you a 29% chance of an MD acceptance. A 32 raises that to 38%. And a 35, to 51%.

Per AAMC "All Applicant" stats, those with a 3.39 undergrad cGPA, an MCAT of 29 gives you a 29% chance of an MD acceptance. A 32 raises that to 38%. And a 35, to 51%.

Listen catalystik...I understand that you are here to help people, but I really don't think they are looking for stats based on past percentages which are solely based on mcat and gpa. If the op wanted to know that, he could just find the percentage chart. He wants some actual feedback based on the other factors, such as his major, ec's, and undergraduate university. You are the expert, so you should give some actual feedback, not something that a robot would say

Members don't see this ad :)
Listen catalystik...I understand that you are here to help people, but I really don't think they are looking for stats based on past percentages which are solely based on mcat and gpa. If the op wanted to know that, he could just find the percentage chart. He wants some actual feedback based on the other factors, such as his major, ec's, and undergraduate university. You are the expert, so you should give some actual feedback, not something that a robot would say

Considering how much Catalystik has contributed to the community, he isn't exactly entitled to do all of what you're asking of him (in depth feedback). There's no reason to demand anything from him. At least he's giving something out instead of nothing.

Last edited:
Considering how much Catalystik has contributed to the community, he isn't exactly entitled to do all of. There's no reason to demand anything from him. At least he's giving something out instead of nothing.

Dont get me wrong. Catalystik is a boss. I'm just sayin..

Dont get me wrong. Catalystik is a boss. I'm just sayin..

Considering the OP (which isn't even you) didn't give out much aside from his stats...

I'm just sayin', if people want more feedback then they need to give out more information and ask the right questions.

As a noob, I found this very helpful. I didn't realize that you could look up these stats so easily.

Dude/Girl whatever... show some respek for Catalystik.

The real question here seems to be whether an MCAT retake is worthwhile to improve chances.

We robots need meaningful data input to output more meaningful responses. The OP gives little detail upon which to determine if there are modifying factors that would have an effect on the odds. While nontrad status adds plus points, a lower masters GPA might take them away (grade inflation being typical). Engineering major is not a significant modifying factor when stats are looked at across all institutions. No research, clinical experience, shadowing, community service, or teaching are mentioned, which, if are all absent, decrease the chances of an acceptance to zero. Since the OP isn't telling us this information, it's reasonable to assume that raw stats are being requested and not an in-depth analysis. And noobs don't know how to find this data.

"All Applicant" data is here, BTW: https://www.aamc.org/download/157450/data/table24-mcatgpagridall2008-10.pdf.pdf

Last edited:
We robots need meaningful data input to output more meaningful responses. The OP gives little detail upon which to determine if there are modifying factors that would have an effect on the odds. While nontrad status adds plus points, a lower masters GPA might take them away (grade inflation being typical). One's major is not a significant modifying factor when stats are looked at across all institutions. No research, clinical experience, shadowing, community service, or teaching are mentioned, which, if are all absent, decrease the chances of an acceptance to zero. Since the OP isn't telling us this information, it's reasonable to assume that raw stats are being requested and not an in-depth analysis. And noobs don't know how to find this data.

This.

Catalystik, you rule.

sorry for the delay, thanks for the responses! some additional info:
-two semesters of research in bioengineering (creating high value products from agricultural materials, i.e. biodiesel from animal fat, and bioplastics from chicken feathers)
-shadowed 3 doctors (combined around 40 hrs)
-the low grad school GPA was obtained while working 55-60 hrs/week in biopharmaceutical manufacturing, will they notice that?

post verification activities that I'll mention in my secondaries (will this seem desperate? i really had no time before this with work/grad school) :
-haiti youth summer camp
-clinical volunteer in impoverished area

What are my chances?

I'd retake. I applied three years ago with a 29 MCAT and a 3.9 GPA, and didn't get in anywhere. I only got a single interview, to boot.

I'd retake. I applied three years ago with a 29 MCAT and a 3.9 GPA, and didn't get in anywhere. I only got a single interview, to boot.

-Where did you apply?
-Did you get any good feedback from the adcom of the school where you interviewed at aside from retake the mcat?

-Where did you apply?
-Did you get any good feedback from the adcom of the school where you interviewed at aside from retake the mcat?

I applied to my in-state schools. I got an interview and was wait-listed at one of them.

The only advice I received from the various admissions committees was to "retake the MCAT". They claimed my other stats were fine. One of them even told me that "everyone and their dog" came in with 33s and 34s. I did retake the MCAT, and improved by 7 points. I say this not to toot my own horn, but to let people with marginal MCAT scores know that it IS possible to improve markedly.

That was the only advice they gave? And how many in-state schools did you apply to? If you have 10+ schools on your list, I can't see how you would only get one interview without some other deficiencies on your app.

I applied to my in-state schools. I got an interview and was wait-listed at one of them.

The only advice I received from the various admissions committees was to "retake the MCAT". They claimed my other stats were fine. One of them even told me that "everyone and their dog" came in with 33s and 34s. I did retake the MCAT, and improved by 7 points. I say this not to toot my own horn, but to let people with marginal MCAT scores know that it IS possible to improve markedly.