3.4 gpa 37 mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vhl1088

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, if I have a 3.4 CUM GPA and a 37 MCAT what would be my chances at the medical schools in Texas? (UT med, Baylor med, Texas tech)

Even with maybe a 35 MCAT would I be able to get in if I end up with a 3.3-3.4 GPA.

I would have 200+ volunteer hours.
clinical part time job at an ocular surgery center for 9 months.
Study Abroad for a semester at the Danish International Study Abroad in the field of Medicine
My grades would be (2.0 freshman year, 3.5 soph year, and 4.0 junior year)
The 2.0 during my freshman year is due to a suicidal roommate I had and the problems I dealt with while helping her.

Outstanding Rec letters from an MD,volunteer coordinator and science teachers.

Would all of this make up for a 3.3-3.4 GPA?

Members don't see this ad.

With a 3.4 and an MCAT of 35:

Baylor and UT SW would be a longshot,

UT MB, UT Houston, and A&M would be on-target, and

Lubbock, and UT San Antonio should be safeties.

Your extracurriculars will not make up for your low GPA, but a high MCAT gives you a chance that med schools will read the rest of your application and appreciate that you did them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think the OP has taken the MCAT, looks like they're just hoping for a 37..

first off, i hope that past roommate is doing better now...thats a difficult situation to deal with.

anyways, i think the various people that i have spoken to have told me that medical apps is such a random process when it comes to interviews. make sure your personal statement is unique and well written. that way you'll get an interview and its up to chance from there bc your MCAT is a great score. im guessing you're in senior year now, so hopefully you can get that gpa to 3.5 and above.

try to do another EC that's unique...then im sure your chances of getting in are a lot better. with those stats im sure you can get into a decent school OOS

good luck

Hello, if I have a 3.4 CUM GPA and a 37 MCAT what would be my chances at the medical schools in Texas? (UT med, Baylor med, Texas tech)

Even with maybe a 35 MCAT would I be able to get in if I end up with a 3.3-3.4 GPA.

I would have 200+ volunteer hours.
clinical part time job at an ocular surgery center for 9 months.
Study Abroad for a semester at the Danish International Study Abroad in the field of Medicine
My grades would be (2.0 freshman year, 3.5 soph year, and 4.0 junior year)
The 2.0 during my freshman year is due to a suicidal roommate I had and the problems I dealt with while helping her.

Outstanding Rec letters from an MD,volunteer coordinator and science teachers.

Would all of this make up for a 3.3-3.4 GPA?
If you are able to pull off such a great MCAT score, I think you would have a very good shot at getting into a Texas med school next year. I really disagree with an above poster that you would have much chance at Southwestern or Baylor. Unfortunately they tend to really care about the GPA of their applicants, and though you clearly have an upward trend, it may not be enough.

But there's a lot more to the Texas medical education system than those two schools. How are you doing on your MCAT practice tests? In order to stay competitive at most TX med schools you'll probably need a 33+. Good luck.:thumbup::thumbup:

I took my first practice AAMC test (#3, the easy one) without any studying in January of 08 and scored a 37. So, I set that as my personal goal. I studied EK audio osmosis (took notes, listened to it in my car, at work, in the gym) and used all of the EK1001 books (~2 hrs/day). I managed to pull off exactly a 37 when I took the test on May 28, 2008.