3.4 Science, 3.5 Cum, 4.0 post-bac, 4.0 graduate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopefulMD1993

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in graduate school pursuing a Masters in Public Health. Planning on taking the MCAT this spring. I got four C's between my freshman and sophomore year and several B's. However I had a 3.8-4.0 for my final two years of undergrad. My post-bac science grades (orgo, physics, and biochem) are all As, as well as my graduate work.

However, my undergraduate cumulative GPAs are not stellar. In all of the prerequisite classes aside from calculus I have gotten a A or an A-. Despite my nearly perfect track record junior year, senior year, and graduate, my cumulative regular & science GPAs will not budge by much. Genetics and Ecology/Evolution really bring down my science GPA...I took them my sophomore year and got Cs.

I have tons of research, extra-curriculars (including being a division 1 student athlete), shadowing, and now volunteer work & "field work"/internship associated with my MPH capstone. Great grades in Anatomy & Physiology, Microbio, Epidemiology, Chem, Biostatistics, Psychology... I have high hopes for my letters of rec from these professors.

So...MCAT is probably going to be the deciding factor?

Any advice? I really hope to pursue an MD rather than a DO and I really hope to be able to attend a school in the U.S. Do I have a shot? I am applying Early Decision to the medical school that I am currently attending for my MPH...any opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not a non-trad. But I think admissions committees will focus on your post-bacc GPA rather than your college GPA. Anyways, many in my class did a post-bacc. You have excellent extracurriculars, just study hard for the MCAT and get some more clinical experiences. Good luck!

Your GPA in itself when considering that upward trend and showing in the pre-reqs can be competitive for a fair number of lower maybe even medium tier MD programs. Like you said, the MCAT will decide much of your fate here.

And if you are going to consider applying ED to a school, you really need to make an effort to go about contacting them before doing so and make some kind of effort to get input/feedback from them. At a number of schools I've heard you will actually have the dean of admissions or someone else of that nature sit down with you and tell you whether or not you will be competitive. In a large number of cases, successful ED applicants have stats fairly above a school's median. ED is not meant to be some get out of jail free card that can provide someone with below average stats a boost. At the very least, even if you only have a school's median stats(and your GPA is not going to be at many school's median) you no matter what need to be someone who is a really good fit for the school and that mission. In all likelihood, the much better strategy for you is to do the best you can on the MCAT and come up with a broad strategic list.

Be very judicious on applying ED as your stats are not really stellar for that type of admission, imo. And when you apply that way, my understanding is you CANNOT apply anywhere else.

With your stats, that's probably shooting yourself in the foot. Typically, what I've seen by those accepted ED: 3.9+ GPA, ECs out the yingyang, research, FIT for that program (RFP, research, international, etc)...

Do you have a shot at regular admissions? Absolutely! Be equally judicious on selecting schools to apply to. That will be key.