3.4 sGPA and 3.6 cGPA- When should I apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Limon y Sal

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just graduated from college this spring, and I was planning on applying this upcoming 2015-2016 cycle (so taking a total of 2 years off, contingent upon getting in.) However, I still need to take orgo II lab (or biochem lab) and biochem, and I am considering re-taking physics II (I'm not sure if this is necessary, but I have a C.) I'm out of the country until late summer 2015, so I was going to take those classes in the Fall when I return. I'm also planning on submitting a manuscript for the research that I have been doing that Fall, crossing my fingers that it will be accepted for publication. I would rather not take a third year off, but would it be better if I already have my biochem and lab grades (and maybe new Physics grade) and hopeful publication when I apply? If I have all of these pieces by January, is that too late in the cycle?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't take an entire year off just to add a couple prereq grades - those need to be done by matriculation, not by application, and they aren't going to impact your 4 year's worth of credits based GPA very much. Same with the pub - it looks nice but you already have plenty of research experience to talk about. Yes, January is very very very late in the cycle. My .02 is stick to the plan and apply in the 2015-2016 cycle but get your application out ASAP (as in, early June)