MD & DO 3.41 gpa, MCAT in April

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JVixen

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So here is what I have so far:
I am applying this June (2015)
I have a 3.41 gpa in Biology, I am going to take the MCAT in April, was going to take the last old MCAT in January but realized I was not ready.

I intend on applying to 15+ schools.
I do not meet the requirements for a committee letter from my college.
I have an upwards trend in grades.
I have three strong recommendation letters from professors.
I have a year of experience volunteering with my first aid squad and currently am in EMT school.
I have volunteered at a research lab for six months.
Worked at a fertility clinic full time for six months.
Was a peer tutor in an anatomy lab for six months.

I have a disadvantaged financial status, no one in my family has even received a bachelors degree.
I also did not decide to go to medical school until my last semester of my junior year in college.
What should I aim as far as MCAT?
Do I have any chance of making it in to MD? I would like to do MD because my interest lies more in surgery, and there seems to be more residency opportunities as an MD, but at the end of the day I want to be a doctor regardless so it does not matter to me whether I do MD/DO.
What are my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

Try to get a MCAT as high as you can, that GPA puts you on life support for MD. I'd say 515 is a good score to shoot for.

Don't aim for anything. Score as high as you can! What is your sGPA? It is not possible to even talk about chances without your MCAT score. Your GPA is below average for MD schools!