MD 3.42 cGPA, 505 MCAT Non-Trad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jb271

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You certainly have a unique application. It's hard to give specific input for school advice given your situations and what schools are best for you but all I can say is here are some more lower tier schools that might be worth consideration.

Western Michigan
Creighton
Temple
Albany
WVU
Saint Louis(maybe)
Miami(maybe)

If you think your list is getting too long, you can safely cut JHU, Central Michigan, Brown, Michigan State, South Carolina, Cooper Rowan, and perhaps also George Washington, Georgetown, Einstein, USC and UCLA without reducing your chances of nabbing an acceptance. Good luck

You are competitive for pretty much any DO school.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You have a somewhat compelling story, but marred by the fact that you unwisely tried to bull your way through your UG career when you were not at your best. In addition, your highest MCAT score is circling the drain for MD schools, and your GPA is 0.3 points below the median for acceptees.

I do not think that you will have any luck with any MD school except U WA. I can't recommend living in UT being such a gay-unfriendly state. Yes, I know SLC is nice, but still, proceed with extreme caution and eye open. I've not hear that they like WWAMI residents int he way that U WA does.

Your numbers are fine for any DO school. Start with PacNW and Western OR. Beggars can't be choosy.

I'm somewhat of a unique non-trad applicant applying MD for 2016

Stats & background:
-BCPM GPA 3.3, AO GPA 3.59, cGPA 3.42
-MCAT 05/2015: 499 Retook 08/2015: 505
-BS Biology from top pre-med program
-Cancer Dx freshman year of undergrad, 40% chance of surviving until graduation
-father (immigrant from Germany) passed away unexpectedly during finals of fall semester sophomore year
-had to help run his international software company, so changed emphasis from medicine to business
-GPA suffered due to illness and focusing on business instead of science.
-MBA graduate
-Chosen to represent university around the world at business competitions. Highly awarded.
-founded, operated, and sold five businesses before age of 30
-founded a charitable organization that donated over $500k to underprivileged youth athletes
-gay
-AMCAS designated as SES Disadvantaged
-ED Tech at trauma center (~3,000 hours)
-Strong ECs (shadowing, volunteering, clubs, honor, etc.)
-Strong LORs
-Strong personal statement
-Idaho resident (rural)

Applying MD Only - Applied to the following 9/10/15. Have received secondaries from almost all
George Washington
University of Vermont College of Medicine
University of Washington(WWAMI)
University of Utah (WWAMI)
Georgetown
Tufts University - Maine Track (strong ties)
Johns Hopkins
University of Arizona College of Medicine Tuscon
The Commonwealth Medical College
Frank H Neter School of Medicine, Quinnipiac University
Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University
Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine
Central Michigan University College of Medicine
Keck School of Medicine of the University of Southern California (strong ties to CA)
Brown
Dartmouth
Boston University
University of California, Los Angeles David Geffen School of Medicine (strong ties to CA)
Medical College of Wisconsin (strong ties to WI)
Eastern Virginia Medical School
Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine
Rush Medical College of Rush University Medical Center
Cooper Medical School of Rowan University
New York Medical College
Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine
Michigan State University College of Medicine
University of South Carolina School of Medicine - Greenville
Drexel University College of Medicine
Sidney Kimmel Medical College of Thomas Jefferson University
Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University

Reactions: 1 user
It drives me nuts when people include their AO GPA with the intentions that it will take the attention off the lower BCPM GPA... No one cares about the AO GPA if we see your BCPM GPA and cGPA. Just accept the fact that your BCPM is lower. Rant done.