MD & DO 3.43 cGPA, 3.17 sGPA, 509 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trickydick

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have been lurking for a while and decided to make my own WAMC thread just before submitting my application to see how my school list compares.

NY resident
go to one of the major SUNYs
work an Americorp position over the summer serving rural populations(450 hrs)
worked a lot at a part time job first two years of college at nursing home(24hrs/week+)
work in a materials chem research lab for the past year - nothing special(hope to have a publication as a 2nd author soon)
President of a sports club for 2 years, others unrelated clubs - nothing special
some hospital volunteering(150hrs)/limited shadowing(60hrs) - only decided to go into medicine a year ago
GPA was dramatically better junior year after I quit my part-time job(cGPA 3.71, sGPA 3.67)
grew up/live in rural area - interest in serving rural communities
ORM

MCAT breakdown:
Chem/Phys-129 (93%)
CARS-129 (93%)
Bio/Biochem-127 (77%)
Psych/Soc-124 (43%)
Total-509 (80% overall)

Questions:
Will the 124 psych/soc get me screened out at a lot of schools?
I didn't take any of the intro sciences(chem, bio, physics) in college as I had APs and my institution doesn't allow me to take classes I have AP credit for, will this hurt me significantly?
Is MD a possibility? I filled out the app but am hesitant to submit. Suggested school list?

Members don't see this ad.

For MD schools:
cGPA on life support
sGPA lethal

UNLESS you have a great rising trend!

For DO schools:
cGPA fine
sGPA, OK. You'll get screened out by my school and others.

If you're boning for the MD dregree, acing a post-bac/SMP is in order.

For DO, apply broadly. Retake any F/D/C science coursework.

Have been lurking for a while and decided to make my own WAMC thread just before submitting my application to see how my school list compares.

NY resident
go to one of the major SUNYs
work an Americorp position over the summer serving rural populations(450 hrs)
worked a lot at a part time job first two years of college at nursing home(24hrs/week+)
work in a materials chem research lab for the past year - nothing special(hope to have a publication as a 2nd author soon)
President of a sports club for 2 years, others unrelated clubs - nothing special
some hospital volunteering(150hrs)/limited shadowing(60hrs) - only decided to go into medicine a year ago
GPA was dramatically better junior year after I quit my part-time job(cGPA 3.71, sGPA 3.67)
grew up/live in rural area - interest in serving rural communities
ORM

MCAT breakdown:
Chem/Phys-129 (93%)
CARS-129 (93%)
Bio/Biochem-127 (77%)
Psych/Soc-124 (43%)
Total-509 (80% overall)

Questions:
Will the 124 psych/soc get me screened out at a lot of schools?
I didn't take any of the intro sciences(chem, bio, physics) in college as I had APs and my institution doesn't allow me to take classes I have AP credit for, will this hurt me significantly?
Is MD a possibility? I filled out the app but am hesitant to submit. Suggested school list?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't have any C/D/F coursework, and am not really boning for an MD program but wanted to know if its worth applying.

Would a postbac/SMP be necessary? Or would a gap year be sufficient? Assuming I can maintain my junior year grades I can reasonably get to a 3.6cGPA and 3.4sGPA by the end of my senior year.

Is MCAT fine or should I consider a retake?

My DO sGPA is a 3.22, not much different but I wonder if it will keep me from getting screened out. Either way, I'm going to wait a year and apply next year when I will hopefully have a better chance as I can't afford to risk my life savings on a 35% shot.

Thank you both for your advice.

Last edited:
My DO sGPA is a 3.22, not much different but I wonder if it will keep me from getting screened out. Either way, I'm going to wait a year and apply next year when I will hopefully have a better chance as I can't afford to risk my life savings on a 35% shot. Either that or I'll rot away in a cubicle writing code.

Thank you both for your advice.
you solid right now for most DO schools though. If you apply to 12+ private DO schools you should get in somewhere.

Do you have any suggestions as to what DO schools? I could only come up with 6 that made sense for me.