3.43 oGPA 3.53 sGPA 3.75 Postbacc 515 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oreolove

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
  1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS: 3.4 cGPA 3.53 sGPA 3.75 Postbacc GPA

1. MCAT score(s) and breakdown: BS: 129 PS: 128 SS: 128 CA: 129

1. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US): California

1. Ethnicity and/or race: Asian

1. Undergraduate institution or category: CSUF

1. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer): 200+ Hospital Volunteer

1. Research experience and productivity: 2.5 years of research studying differentiation of the brain during developmental stage. Published once, couple posters

1. Shadowing experience and specialties represented: Both MD/DO shadowing (100+ hrs) ER and Family medicine

1. Non-clinical volunteering: 50+ hrs of homeless volunteer

1. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc): 1.5 years of leadership role in a club

1. Relevant honors or awards: Applying for scholarships in my research lab

What are my chances for medical schools?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...-thread-for-optimal-results-and-more.1170791/

Follow this template for the better of everyone especially yourself, specifically include your state, race and tentative school list. MSAR will answer all your school list questions. Start with the ones in your state. From there look at OOS friendly ones that get <10k apps a year with an MCAT median around roughly a 32.
First time user here. Sorry for the format. It has been changed!

Members don't see this ad :)
First time user here. Sorry for the format. It has been changed!

No worries. Historical norms have shown roughly 60% of applicants with your profile whove applied in the past have found an MD acceptance somewhere. We all can certainly give you input on which schools specifically once you post a list of about 20 schools or so to look at

No worries. Historical norms say roughly 60% of applicants with your profile who apply find an MD acceptance. We all can certainly give you input on which schools specifically once you post a list of about 20 schools or so to look at
Case
NYU
University of Virginia
USC
UCLA
UCF
UCI
Stanford
UCSD
Pitts
Cincinnati
Albany
Boston U
Columbia
Duke
George Washington
Loyola
St. Louis
Rush
Michigan

Some of these schools are overreaches but its not a complete list yet, hence Im asking you guys :)

2/3 of your list is schools where the median MCAT is 35+. Ideally that number should be closer to say something like 25% to give a rough idea. I see 4 maybe 5 schools on your current list you could call "targets" and can go in saying you have a reasonable shot at getting a II at. In CA without any real state schools, that "target" number should be closer to 14 or 15. The schools that can be "targets" for you fall under the types I listed before you can find in MSAR(ie Oakland, U of Arizona etc)

2/3 of your list is schools where the median MCAT is 35+. Ideally that number should be closer to say something like 25% to give a rough idea. I see 4 maybe 5 schools on your current list you could call "targets" and can go in saying you have a reasonable shot at getting a II at. In CA without any real state schools, that "target" number should be closer to 14 or 15. The schools that can be "targets" for you fall under the types I listed before you can find in MSAR(ie Oakland, U of Arizona etc)
Ouch, so is there some schools I should take out? I think I went a little too top heavy here. Ill use your example schools as a guideline also

Ouch, so is there some schools I should take out? I think I went a little too top heavy here. Ill use your example schools as a guideline also

A couple reaches and dream schools are fine but the key is to have enough schools you can call targets where you have a reasonable shot at getting a II for. This is even more true in California. You have a few like SLU or Loyola, but look at the % of schools on your current list have 35+ median MCATs. OOS 3.5/34 applicants just arent in the range these schools tend to accept usually. If you want reaches, schools like Einstein or Cincinnati serve as far better choices than NYU or Stanford types.

A couple reaches and dream schools are fine but the key is to have enough schools you can call targets where you have a reasonable shot at getting a II for. This is even more true in California. You have a few like SLU or Loyola, but look at the % of schools on your current list have 35+ median MCATs. OOS 3.5/34 applicants just arent in the range these schools tend to accept usually. If you want reaches, schools like Einstein or Cincinnati serve as far better choices than NYU or Stanford types.
I was hoping that Ohio and NYU were my target schools...but I will make changes.
How are my chances at UCSD and UCI? And would you consider UCLA as a reach?