3.44 cGPA / 33 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

liloumi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
21 year old asian female from toronto canada
no green card or any ties to the US

Strong upward trend in grades
approx 2.7/3.22/3.9/4.0
Degree in Life Science
I had to switch schools after 2nd year due to family problems though
also smartened up and cut out alot of my social life in order to study

overall 3.44 cGPA and 3.39 sGPA
MCAT 33 10V/12P/11BS

Diverse extracurriculars
Leader of inner city mentorship program
Sat on various executive teams
Worked in a doctor's office for over 8 years
600 hours of research experience
500 hours volunteering at hospital
300 hours teaching sunday school
70 hours doctor shadowing - mostly in surgery
small business owner and blogger
played violin for 16 years - principal second violinist of youth symphony, and concertmaster of concert orchestra
can speak 3 languages (english, cantonese, mandarin) fluently and understand another two (korean and french)

I did poorly in my first year due to falling sick during exams and the doctor not believing me, therefore refusing to give me a doctor's note. I eventually received surgery for my problem, but after I had written all my exams. I hinted at this on my PS, but didn't really expand on it because I wanted to focus on other things.

I know my GPA is kind of low, and my MCAT not steller, but will the upward trend count for anything? Any chances at any MD school in the states?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
There are 74 MD schools in the US that accept applications from international students. Focus on the ones that have median stats below yours for maximum effect.
I thought Canadian students were judged the same as American ones? Or that they weren't really seen as "International Applicants."

Members don't see this ad :)
Without green card, it's hard to get in any US medical school, and especially your package is not golden.

Nope. Not without a green card. They get credit for speaking English, though. Mostly.
Don't most Canadian applicants not have a green card? Thanks for the input. Interesting.