3.44 sGPA but 3.05 cGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

firefightertodoc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm 24, starting my senior year. My cummulative GPA is only a 3.05 but it is not exactly representative of my performance. When I was 18 I enrolled in a university and absolutely hated it. I didn't go to any of my classes and left about a month in without withdrawing. I know, I'm stupid. I had no clue what I wanted to do with my life. Long story short I ended up becoming a professional firefighter. Worked until I was 23 while getting my first 2-3 years done in CC. I ended up graduating with a 3.6. I now go to penn state and I am doing pretty well. I haven't taken the MCATs yet but I expect to do at least pretty well. Without that one semester my cGPA comes up to 3.44, the same as my sGPA.

What options do I have here? I'm applying to DO schools as well. Will committees look past this? I feel like I'm not even going to get offered an interview anywhere when they see a 3.0. These applications are expensive and I feel like I'm wasting my time.

Members don't see this ad.

Upward trends are good, but for MD schools, you'll need a rocking good (>34) MCAT score. You're fine for most DO programs.

So I'm 24, starting my senior year. My cummulative GPA is only a 3.05 but it is not exactly representative of my performance. When I was 18 I enrolled in a university and absolutely hated it. I didn't go to any of my classes and left about a month in without withdrawing. I know, I'm stupid. I had no clue what I wanted to do with my life. Long story short I ended up becoming a professional firefighter. Worked until I was 23 while getting my first 2-3 years done in CC. I ended up graduating with a 3.6. I now go to penn state and I am doing pretty well. I haven't taken the MCATs yet but I expect to do at least pretty well. Without that one semester my cGPA comes up to 3.44, the same as my sGPA.

What options do I have here? I'm applying to DO schools as well. Will committees look past this? I feel like I'm not even going to get offered an interview anywhere when they see a 3.0. These applications are expensive and I feel like I'm wasting my time.

Upward trends are good, but for MD schools, you'll need a rocking good (>34) MCAT score. You're fine for most DO programs.

^^

hard to say much without an MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Well that's good to hear I suppose. Now the DO programs I am applying to don't have deadlines unti February or April, am I better waiting until I finish this semester to get those grades and bring my GPA up, assuming I do well. Or is it better to apply as early as possible since they are rolling admissions?

Apply now and you might very well get some II early next year, once grades are in. Good luck!

Well that's good to hear I suppose. Now the DO programs I am applying to don't have deadlines unti February or April, am I better waiting until I finish this semester to get those grades and bring my GPA up, assuming I do well. Or is it better to apply as early as possible since they are rolling admissions?