MD & DO 3.45 cGPA, 3.40 sGPA Good ECs, Target MCAT?, Leaning DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Twilson016

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm looking to get some recommendations for some schools, and a target MCAT score I should shoot for on June 5th. I'm leaning DO, I've shadowed a DO which was a really great experience, and she is writing me a LOR. I will be applying to maybe a select few allopathic schools but I was a business major for two years with no intention of going to into any type of gradate school, and my grades during that time are pulling my GPA down. Here is some background info about myself:

Academics
- 3.45 cGPA (CA State School)
-3.4 sGPA
-Upward trend, GPA from the time I decided to pursue medicine: 3.78
-Two semesters Dean's list
-One semester President's list
-100+ hours as undergraduate assistant on Biology research project, no publication
-Took summer intensive course in Medical Spanish at teaching hospital

Clinical Experience
-Roughly 40 hours of volunteer work at a teaching hospital (still in progress)
-About 65-70 hours of shadowing a DO who is a Family Practitioner at a clinic- Letter of Recommendation

Leadership Experience
-Currently serving on the ASI Senate (Student government) as the ASI Senator for the College of Science and Mathematics, running for a second term (terms are 1 year each)
-Through the ASI Senate I served as Vice-Chair of the ASI Personnel Committee, and served as a voting member of the Student Health Advisory Council which is a campus-wide committee
-Served as Financial Director for a club on campus

ECs
-Played 3 years of Mens Volleyball for my collegiate club team (team won national finals the year I quit to focus on OChem..I know I know it would've made a great interview talking point...)
-Extremely active in politics and community, I have volunteered on 1 U.S. Congressional campaign, 1 Large CA city's Mayoral campaign (not my city), and was a paid part time employee for 1 CA State Senate race, and 1 local city measure campaign.
-Worked on average around 20-25 hours a week while in school where I am a manager for a parts department at a motorcycle dealership.

I would really prefer to stay in California, so Touro-CA and Western-CA are my top choices but I am open to moving OOS if need be. Any suggestions on specific schools? I visited Touro-CA this past summer and talked with an admissions counselor there. Also, the DO writing my LOR is a Touro-CA alum (don't know if this pulls any weight). What target MCAT score should I shoot for to boost my chances of admissions? I'm struggling to fit my MCAT studying in with this semester's coursework so thats been a bit stressful.

Really would prefer not to, but wondering taking a gap year might be beneficial? I would be able to get more clinical/volunteer experience, study harder for the MCAT and take later this summer, and retake a calculus course I currently have a D on my transcripts for, which would boost my GPA and sGPA a little.

Sorry for such a long post, any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,
I'm looking to get some recommendations for some schools, and a target MCAT score I should shoot for on June 5th. I'm leaning DO, I've shadowed a DO which was a really great experience, and she is writing me a LOR. I will be applying to maybe a select few allopathic schools but I was a business major for two years with no intention of going to into any type of gradate school, and my grades during that time are pulling my GPA down. Here is some background info about myself:

Academics
- 3.45 cGPA (CA State School)
-3.4 sGPA
-Upward trend, GPA from the time I decided to pursue medicine: 3.78
-Two semesters Dean's list
-One semester President's list
-100+ hours as undergraduate assistant on Biology research project, no publication
-Took summer intensive course in Medical Spanish at teaching hospital

Clinical Experience
-Roughly 40 hours of volunteer work at a teaching hospital (still in progress)
-About 65-70 hours of shadowing a DO who is a Family Practitioner at a clinic- Letter of Recommendation

Leadership Experience
-Currently serving on the ASI Senate (Student government) as the ASI Senator for the College of Science and Mathematics, running for a second term (terms are 1 year each)
-Through the ASI Senate I served as Vice-Chair of the ASI Personnel Committee, and served as a voting member of the Student Health Advisory Council which is a campus-wide committee
-Served as Financial Director for a club on campus

ECs
-Played 3 years of Mens Volleyball for my collegiate club team (team won national finals the year I quit to focus on OChem..I know I know it would've made a great interview talking point...)
-Extremely active in politics and community, I have volunteered on 1 U.S. Congressional campaign, 1 Large CA city's Mayoral campaign (not my city), and was a paid part time employee for 1 CA State Senate race, and 1 local city measure campaign.
-Worked on average around 20-25 hours a week while in school where I am a manager for a parts department at a motorcycle dealership.

I would really prefer to stay in California, so Touro-CA and Western-CA are my top choices but I am open to moving OOS if need be. Any suggestions on specific schools? I visited Touro-CA this past summer and talked with an admissions counselor there. Also, the DO writing my LOR is a Touro-CA alum (don't know if this pulls any weight). What target MCAT score should I shoot for to boost my chances of admissions? I'm struggling to fit my MCAT studying in with this semester's coursework so thats been a bit stressful.

Really would prefer not to, but wondering taking a gap year might be beneficial? I would be able to get more clinical/volunteer experience, study harder for the MCAT and take later this summer, and retake a calculus course I currently have a D on my transcripts for, which would boost my GPA and sGPA a little.

Sorry for such a long post, any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

If you are leaning DO, I think 25 MCAT will get you in somewhere. However, 28+ will make you competitive at most DO schools. For MD, you might need a 33+ MCAT to have a realistic shot...

I'd still apply to a few MD schools if you can get at least a 30+

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the input everyone. Working on my MCAT studies now so we'll see how my practice exams start looking.

@Goro I've noticed you post in many of the WAMC threads and alot of the DO related ones also. Do you have any advice for me? I would really appreciate it.

If you can score int he high 20s you'll be fine for any DO program. Score >30 and some of the low-tier MD schools might like you as well. I agree that the clinical experience is weak, but how much will you have by June? Schools will cut you some slack for working part-time, but it's not a 100% trade-off. I'd take the gap year only if you were dead on for only MD schools.

Thanks @Goro. Any suggestions on lower tier MD schools that would be OOS friendly? Being from California I think it would be tough to get in anywhere here. Thanks!

Here are my updated stats after some corrections and this past semester's coursework:
3.49 cGPA
3.57 sGPA

Still working on MCAT studies, scheduled to take it July 24th. Hopefully that won't cause me to be too late in the cycle, I would prefer not to take a gap year. I've decided on applying solely to DO schools. Anyone have any suggestions on a school list? Thanks

Hey everyone, debated on posting in the "retake" thread but figured it would be easier if I posted here because all of my stats are already listed above.

Received my MCAT score back last week and I was less than impressed, scored a 26 (8PS/9VR/9BS).

Here are my updated GPAs: 3.53 cGPA, 3.64 sGPA.

Should I retake? I was really trying to avoid the new test if possible, but my top choice is TUCOM-CA and my MCAT is below their average. My GPAs however, are above their average.

Any advice on whether or not I should retake, or a suggested school list? I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

Anyone have any advice on whether or not I should take the new exam? Or advice on a school list? I'd really appreciate it!

Nice jump on the GPA. Your 3.64 sGPA is competitive for MD, but the MCAT makes that kind of unlikely. A retake isn't a terrible idea at this point, but you could also get accepted with a 26.

Reactions: 1 user
Nice jump on the GPA. Your 3.64 sGPA is competitive for MD, but the MCAT makes that kind of unlikely. A retake isn't a terrible idea at this point, but you could also get accepted with a 26.

Thanks! Do you think I have a shot at Touro-CA or should I retake to be competitive there?

Thanks! Do you think I have a shot at Touro-CA or should I retake to be competitive there?

The Touro schools like higher MCATs. Their average is a 30-31. 4-5 points less is pretty big. I would consider retaking necessary to be competitive there.