3.45 GPA 24 MCAT Chance me please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Unknown 303

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated college in 3.5 years and took the MCAT twice

1st attempt summer 2012: 22 (8/6/8)
2nd attempt spring 2013: 24 (9,7,8)

My overall and science GPA is 3.45 and I am a NJ resident.

Over 250 hours volunteering, some social research, some tutoring, and 5 LORs (I'm confident they were great letters)

I got into SGU's August 2013 class but I'm thinking of reapplying for August 2014 US DO.

I'm not a big fan of taking a year off and would rather get started with my medical education but worried about the future after graduating SGU. What do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

GPA is good. Apply broadly for DO schools, especially the new ones. Also, apply for DO-related post bacs as well that typically transition their students into the med school.

If you are unwilling to wait/want to start your med ed ASAP, which seems to be the case, then I suggest applying to the University of Queensland - Ochsner program, or some Irish medical schools with links in the USA over attending a Caribbean school. If you do choose to go to a carib. school, then SGU is the best one, as you likely know.

I would say no Carib. Your GPAs are good but a low MCAT makes me worry that rocking boards might be tough, and rocking boards is probably even more important for Carib students than US students.

You can get in DO. Don't "waste" that extra year though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Chances look solid for DO

I wouldnt say "solid". Stats are average. But still has a chance. If your PS is rockin that is good. Apply early right when the cycle opens. UMDNJSOM, NYCOM, PCOM.

And yes dont go to Caribbean. I have a friend there and she hates it. 50% drop/fail iout and the environment is horrible. powdered milk, brown water out of the faucets and lights going out. Why deal with all that PLUS your normal overload of academics. Also I know another friend who went to Caribbean and just got his match results (he had solid stats)...didnt match. So he'll be doing research for a year. Waste.

If you dont get in take that year off to improve you MCAT score. Because once you go to Caribbean youre stuck, esp for residency.