3.45cGPA 3.4sGPA retaking mcat advice/chances? really need some hope

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

madibainvictus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have 3.45cGPA and 3.4sGPA and have recently graduated from UCI with a degree in bio. i have gotten a 26 on a previous mcat and im taking the test again in january. I have done 2 years of volunteer work through a program in a near by hospital. I am interested in anesthesia so I have observed about 3 surgeries. I have done 3 years of undergraduate research and have received an excellence in research award which also put my paper in the undergraduate journal at uci. There is a good possibility of being a co-author on a scientific paper because I am a co author on the abstract. Spent a week in rural honduras doing public health work. Founding member of the public health club at UCI. Currently working at a diagnostic lab now which i guess is part of the medical field so i am doing something still related to medicine and it also helps me save up for my bills and app. expenses.

If you guys can give me any tips or advice or better yet be honest about my chances because i know with my stats i have made it hard on myself.

Members don't see this ad.

Besides the MCAT may need to do some shadowing other than the 3 surgeries. Schools like to see primary care shadowing as well as some specialities.

Have you considered taking any post-bacc classes to bring the gpa up any?

Good luck!

I did think about taking some classes through extension but then I didnt think that one or 2 As in classes would seriously bring up my gpa any because of so many credits accrued. Or is there something I am missing? As for the primary care shadowing is that like shadowing someone like your primary care provider?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll give you some sounds advice that others have offered me: Have you considered DO school?

No I have not considered it. I am not sure I am totally in agreement with that methodology towards medicine.

I did think about taking some classes through extension but then I didnt think that one or 2 As in classes would seriously bring up my gpa any because of so many credits accrued. Or is there something I am missing?

As for the primary care shadowing is that like shadowing someone like your primary care provider?
Even if your BCPM GPA doesn't go up much, it's very helpful to establish a strong, recent upward grade trend, particularly in upper-level science.

Primary care includes Internal Med, Family Med, Pediatrics, Psych, and OBGYN. And I agree with ericflem's advice.

I suggest you might further educate yourself on DO med schools in the Pre-Med Osteopathic Forum. You are a decent candidate for an acceptance as you are without further grade and MCAT improvements (if you get in the suggested shadowing). And DO is another route to an anesthesia residency.